Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tracey Newman Offline
#1 Posted : 14 May 2017 15:50:14(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 235 post(s)
I known alot of people are going to be busy with the castles but I was wondering if anyone was planning to go to Brecon on the Sunday it's not a problem if anyone isn't. I know there always been an issue with money with the master and things sometime class but why this weekend!

Edited by user 14 May 2017 15:57:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mick McGeoch Offline
#2 Posted : 14 May 2017 20:19:40(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Why? Because the Welsh Masters is track and field the Castles is a road relay. They're not the same discipline, so it's not a fixture clash.
Tracey Newman Offline
#3 Posted : 15 May 2017 12:17:48(UTC)
Tracey Newman

I know they're two different things and clashes can't always be helped but the castle is one biggest event of the welsh althetics year so to me it doesn't make sence.
Mick McGeoch Offline
#4 Posted : 15 May 2017 17:53:21(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Tracey, I know the Welsh Castles Relay is a major event in our eyes, but the powers-that-be in Welsh Masters circles are mainly track and field. The Castles simply wouldn't dawn on them when setting their fixtures. Les Croupiers simply is very different to most athletic organisations (and I like to think better).
 3 users liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 15/05/2017(UTC), jeffrey cox on 15/05/2017(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 24/05/2017(UTC)
Mel James Offline
#5 Posted : 22 May 2017 15:05:04(UTC)
Mel James

Has liked: 17 post(s)
Tracey, As chair of Welsh Masters, (been there for 15 years and standing down this year) therefore I am probably the best to receive genuine info from (not rumours on forums) and free to speak to anytime. I am surprised that you never discuss anything with me as, it is quicker and much easier to explain than writing it all out on these forums. I am down the club most Thursday's and willing to explain anything regarding Masters events within Wales,European and World Masters competitions, to yourself or in fact anyone. We (the WMAA) don't sit down and think of what event we can clash with, it is within everybody's interest to have as little clashes as possible. As Mick replied, Road and T&F are two different disciplines, but also being a club member I was well aware of the Castles date and "it did dawn on us".
This is the reason, last year we organised our own WMAA T&F Champs, they were successful, but owing to the non appearance, through illness, of a booked grade one official, our results did not qualify for records and also affected the Power of 10 results. We could not afford this to happen to our members again in 2017, therefore with the grave situation of the Welsh Athletics scarcity of supplying graded officials, we decided to have a joint championship with Welsh Athletics to hopefully benefit our members. Unfortunately the Welsh Championships date clashed with the Castles Relay weekend.(9th,10th, 11th June) Athletics is in a grave situation at present and it is going to get even graver in the future with a huge shortage of qualified officials and not many coming forward to be trained. I fear for the future, as athletes can't compete without officials and as at Les Croups and Welsh Masters, there are only a few willing people prepared to give their time to organise/officiate at events, without these (all voluntary) our sport could not and will not take place.
 7 users liked this post.
Michael Cranwell on 22/05/2017(UTC), amanda thompson on 22/05/2017(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 22/05/2017(UTC), dave james on 22/05/2017(UTC), David.E Williams on 23/05/2017(UTC), David John Williams on 24/05/2017(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 24/05/2017(UTC)
Tracey Newman Offline
#6 Posted : 23 May 2017 13:30:59(UTC)
Tracey Newman

sorry Mel but haven't been able to come on a Thursday for a while. I notice the clash on the wales athletic websites. What do you have to become an official although I still enjoy competing. Unfornately this a problem not exclusive to athletics. There are many Brownie with three year + waiting lists as they not got the adult helpers to open more Brownies packs, also I think our working pattern as change as more people work shifts and 5the attitude of a lot companies have the altitude of a lot of companies is you work for us we don't work for you ( I know I been there, yes I know there are people in the club that work shifts but again it goes down to company's attitude!) I also realise that many of our officials are retired but we still need people to take over.
Mel James Offline
#7 Posted : 24 May 2017 10:44:48(UTC)
Mel James

Has liked: 17 post(s)
Hi Tracey, You have just about answered your own question. It is difficult to be able to combine the two roles and as you correctly stated it would affect your competing.
There are courses that constantly run during the year for T&F and also road running officials. These are to be found on the Welsh Athletics website, or ask me on a club night and I can explain it in little more detail. Most of the WA officials are now elderly and there is a shortage of younger volunteers coming forward, hence the future looks very bleak for Welsh Athletics.
 1 user liked this post.
Tracey Newman on 24/05/2017(UTC)
amanda thompson Offline
#8 Posted : 24 May 2017 14:22:04(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
The remit for Welsh Athletics is to service those (youngsters) with elite/medal potential, to be part of major events in Wales, and also to ensure that athletics is part of community sport and participation.

For the latter, community sport, the focus is rapidly moving to link with the health agenda in Wales. Namely, helping to reduce obesity, getting the non active to take exercise, using sport to help with mental well being. There is also the social and educational side of this, using sport to help improve social well being and skills. Naturally, volunteering is part of that.

However, when encouraging people to take up running the emphasis is on taking part and volunteering but not any need to be competitive.

This means Welsh Masters, with the help of Welsh Athletics ideally, needs to fight its own cause. That's the way to ensure a sustainable future. Why not publicise the officials courses more widely - ask every running and athletics club to share promotional material for the courses and also recruit more competitors too. Perhaps Welsh Masters could also tie in with existing volunteering schemes and Further Education colleges to recruit more officials that way. There are people, young ones especially, who want to give their time to voluntary activities as it helps with their careers and university applications.
 3 users liked this post.
Tracey Newman on 24/05/2017(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 24/05/2017(UTC), Eve Gallop-Evans on 24/05/2017(UTC)