Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Claire Jarrom Offline
#1 Posted : 22 July 2017 20:05:07(UTC)
Claire Jarrom

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 81 post(s)
Hello lovey runners!

I've recently started to run (slightly) longer distances with a view to up it a bit more over the next month (to about 18 miles). As one who needs 3 hourly feeds even on a rest day I am experimenting a bit with hydration and nutrition as I go along.
My current strategy is to run around in circles, never more than a few miles from home so that I can visit the picnic laid out on my front lawn! To be fair this is working fairly well but I have thought about buying some sort of running belt to be able to take a bottle and nibbles with me.
However, a quick internet search reveals more choice than I'd imagined!
I'd be really interested to hear how you experienced endurance runners manage this and what (if any) accessories you use.
Are there any particular types of belts you would recommend or steer clear of?

Thanks in advance.
Claire :-)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#2 Posted : 23 July 2017 08:23:27(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
It is very much a personal thing and several factors may probably come into play.

Personaly I fuel and drink prior to every run. I would only consider carrying a drink on an 18 mile run if it was baking hot. It could be a good idea to carry something sugary in case your blood sugars dip too.

I rarely venture more than 12 miles nowadays as I am not a Marathon runner.
 1 user liked this post.
Claire Jarrom on 23/07/2017(UTC)
Tracey Newman Offline
#3 Posted : 23 July 2017 09:09:10(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
Porriage is good before a marathorn. I tend to stick with water or flat coke sone marathorn offer flape jacks or cholocate at their feeding stations. Some runners carry jelly babies or something similliar. I don't like jells and alot of these engery drinks are just sugar water. I tend to find out what drink the race is offering ( often whoever sponsering the race) and try that so I don't have to carry anything. If I don't like it I carry something. Some races especially ask you carry certain items so always check. As for a carry belt that's a personal thing but bascily you don't want anything that bounces. I have a left handed belt which means the drink holder tilites to the left side whcih is easier for me as I am left handed. Hydryson packs are becoming popular which are little rucksacks with a bladder pack, I tried one but it leaked all me maybe I did something wrong. Keep your eye open at Lidos and Alidos as they sell things like that at reasonable prices ( I'm not sure about the trainners, stick with what you know) Mountain Wearhouse is another good place, they also do good headtourches ideal for winter running. At the Barry 40 Mick supplies tables for you to put your own supplie on he also supplies loads of flat coke cola not sure why coke cola as suppose to pepise or any other brand. Also a lot of top runners and ultra runners use flat coke too. Kendal mint cake is realy good too. Hope this helps you'r welcome to run with me any Sunday you want. Just keep trying out differnt breakfast and things untill you find what works for you, it better to be sick in trainning than in a race and I know that sound grose but believe me I have seen people in races being sick because they drink something they are not used to. Good luck!
 1 user liked this post.
Claire Jarrom on 23/07/2017(UTC)
amanda thompson Offline
#4 Posted : 23 July 2017 17:09:14(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
Flipping heck, all that flat coke, Kendal mint cake and jelly babies - you won't have any teeth left! Sugar just gives a short 'high' followed by a sharp drop in energy level.

You could plan a route with places along the way that have water. That avoids having to carry water which is annoying and heavy. If you eat a sensible diet with a few extra carbs a day or two before your long run then that should be sufficient fuelling. Porridge is the most popular pre-race fuel, a small portion with a banana is good.

You can spend a lot of money on special energy bars, protein bars, drinks etc - most of which you can make yourself, much cheaper and better without all the additives.

If you are running off road or in remote places then put a few provisions in a very lightweight runners rucksack or a hydration pack (without the water pack in it). Keep it light though, so many people run with far too much stuff - just slows you down.

Edited by user 23 July 2017 17:11:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
Claire Jarrom on 23/07/2017(UTC), Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 28/07/2017(UTC)
Claire Jarrom Offline
#5 Posted : 23 July 2017 20:23:49(UTC)
Claire Jarrom

Thanks folks! I need to keep experimenting. Today I learnt I can carry a water bottle in one hand and munch soreen from the other! Also, for those that are interested I learnt that dried dates work well for me. Easy to chew and gave me a boost!

Tracey the talk of Kendal Mint Cake brings back memories of Duke Of Edinburgh walks as a teenager - I used to love that stuff, will add it to my long menu, although expect it will make my teeth hurt these days!:-/

I need 3 hourly feeds when I'm not exercising and even at work am tucking into a second breakfast by 10:30am so sadly I'm not gonna survive the long ones on a big breakfast.

I've had offers today of borrowing a running belt and rucksack to get a feel for them so that'll really help my investigations.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how it goes!

CJ x
 1 user liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 28/07/2017(UTC)
Aine Kenny Offline
#6 Posted : 24 July 2017 11:06:56(UTC)
Aine Kenny

Has liked: 653 post(s)
I normally carry water with an electrolyte tablet (I like the brand 'Nuun'- not too sweet) for any runs longer than 10 miles. I have one of those bottle holders you wear around your waist. I tend to drink a lot during runs (every mile or 2 during a marathon as its normally warm when I do them!). For the 18 plus mile long runs, I take a gel or 2 - more to ensure it agrees with me as opposed to really needing them. People who don't like gels tend to use gelly beans - probably a lot more tasty!

People who know me well know I like my breakfast! I cannot go out the door without it. Before a run (about 30-45 mins), its usually porridge with fruit, toast, OJ and an actimel drink! That's fine for a long run, maybe a bit much if you want to race Parkrun (hence why I usually don't! A banana just isn't enough especially if I'm doing Phils class after)

Hope you find something that works for you. I like the idea of popping home every few miles! Handy living near the Taff Trail.
 2 users liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 28/07/2017(UTC), Claire Jarrom on 30/07/2017(UTC)
Claire Jarrom Offline
#7 Posted : 30 July 2017 14:23:16(UTC)
Claire Jarrom

Thanks too Aine, only just spotted this. I will look up the Nuun brand as I do like to use an electrolyte drink (high 5 presently coz that's what hubby uses) but I do find it a bit sweet.

I read this week that coconut water is a natural electrolyte. However, I can confirm that it tastes rank! Much improved with a dash of orange squash!
I think my experimenting with that will end there!

Happy Running.
Matt Hopkins Offline
#8 Posted : 30 July 2017 14:51:33(UTC)
Matt Hopkins

Has liked: 20 post(s)
Hi Claire

My strategy goes something like this:

Up to 90 mins - Usually nothing en route, unless unusually warm - in which case I take a small bottle of water (about 250 mls) in a handheld bottle.
90-120 mins - Carry water, usually 250-500 ml.
More than 120 mins - Water + enough energy gels for one every 30 mins.

Personally, I don't like the water bottle carrier belts, so I use a handheld water bottle. My personal choice of energy gel is High 5 (not the caffeinated one), but as has already been pointed out, it's very much a matter of personal preference.

If I'm running long in the morning, my breakfast of choice is a bowl of porridge with some fruit about an hour before my run. If I'm running long in the evening, I just eat meals during the day on my normal schedule.
 1 user liked this post.
Claire Jarrom on 01/08/2017(UTC)
Reanne Reffell Offline
#9 Posted : 30 July 2017 19:16:46(UTC)
Reanne Reffell

Has liked: 6 post(s)
Hi Claire
I used a Nunn electrolyte tablet for the first time on Thursday. I would suggest staying close to home and maybe doing your loops the first time you try it, just in case! :)
 1 user liked this post.
jamesthebruce Offline
#10 Posted : 01 August 2017 18:42:56(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Claire,

I'm too lazy to carry water. I usually plan my runs for longer ones via a suitable shop where I can purchase water. When I've done a marathon with the sat crew, we stop by gregs at upper boat and get water, eletroyte .. we get interesting looks when everyone else its getting a beacon butty.

I rave about SIS gels as those really work for me.. I guess your doing a marathon it helps to match what you will get in the marathon..

I did Manchester this year - they supplied sis gels - I trained with those.. and water only.

Usually I try and take electoryte the day before a long run 20+ mile plus so i'm not too dehydrated before I start.. so 3 glasses of wine doesn't help.. but I still often do !

shotbloks are very good if you cannot stomach gels. everyone is different on this. Matt Hopkins is very sensible on his advice.. it is personal.. I need more water than most but then i'm 5-10 kgs heaver than most.. Claire (my Claire) needs a lot less water than I do on a longer run or cycle.. so I suspect you will to..

for a marathon I find a little often helps..rather than a lot a little..

ps if I ran in circles of 1-3 miles id quit after 3 or 4 at most. I have to run out and back to get my miles in.. well done you if your doing that.. I try and tailor my long runs to the type of marathon.. e.g. for a flat one.. no point in going up the gareth.. but for Snowdon good plan.

hope this ramble helps.. is all personal.. on stuff what works for me may not work for you..

e.g. i'll do a lot of 23 milers others just do one or two 20's and do really well on marathons. and often on the day.

James

1 user liked this post.
Claire Jarrom Offline
#11 Posted : 07 August 2017 18:28:59(UTC)
Claire Jarrom

Well James, you got me; yes I am doing a marathon. But only as of about 20 minutes ago. I wanted to train to 18 first to see how that felt; as it wasn't any worse than last weeks 16.5 I figure I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I see it's very personal.

For those who are interested, today I ran my first ever 18 miles. To fuel this I only finished eating my huge bowl of oatmeal (sorry I don't like porridge) half an hour before I ran. I then managed to scoff 2 pieces of soreen in the first 5 miles, a couple of SiS gels and later some homemade 'balls' of dried dates with chopped nuts held together with honey. I've also discovered liquid carbs - which I wouldn't want to rely on entirely but were handy for the last 5k today. I made this up to half the suggested strength and am pleased to report an absence of incidence! I still dislike coconut water but since I had some left (I hate waste) I diluted this with tap water with a splash of the free ribena from Saturdays parkrun and drank about 800ml in total.

After all that food I had to come home and have a nap!

Lolly very kindly lent me her running belt which meant I was able to carry food and fluids with ease. I found it was much easier to be hands free! I still needed to visit home once to swap bottles but I wouldn't want to carry a larger belt / 2 bottles as I have slight bruising and soreness to my back where the (500ml) bottle must have been knocking against me, although happily I did not perceive this at the time.

I still intend to buy some kendal mint cake (will bring back some old memories),I just keep forgetting. Apparently running can help with cognitive impairment - all the more reason to up the miles!

Thanks everyone for your advice and sharing your own experiences, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions over the coming weeks! xx