Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jamesthebruce Offline
#1 Posted : 04 January 2014 15:11:05(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 851 post(s)
This year i'm not going to wildly chase a marathon time.. i'm planning on trying to maintain my 1/2 marathon pace.. so i'm looking for some general advice to maintain fitness for the 1/2 marathon and 10 mile distances how far should the long run be ?

15 is what i had in mind. maybe upto 17.. as i kinda like the long run anyhow..

also for the glochester 20, to use as a slightly long training run.. would going upto 17 in training be adequate..

I'm figuring for the 1/2 marathon distance the speed work is similar to marathon pace running 400-800 repeat type measures..

but equally would appreicate some general feedback to..

ps snowdon entries are still open..
Martin Haley
#2 Posted : 04 January 2014 17:41:12(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I would think 13 - 15 miles is adequate for all those distances and focus more on speedwork. I don't feel you need excessive distance to do halves and as always, the speed stuff will transfer to the endurance...
Sean Smith
#3 Posted : 04 January 2014 17:58:33(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Funny enough I was trying to talk "shop" with my brother Darren (when he stayed with us over Xmas) ... ask him about marathon training sessions for my neighbour Mark Joyce training ....

I think anything around the 12 miles mark is more than adequate. Rather than "how far" look at adding in these two things to your long run. Run the last 4miles (or so) at bit under target race pace and occasionally look to do hill reps (3 to 4 mins long not too steep) as part of your long run.

I also think something like 400/600m at target pace with 100m jog session would help as well - with the aim to increase the pace of the jog recovery as opposed to increase the 400/600m pace.

I personally think you would be better off trying to get faster first - drop your 5km to under 17.30min which will give you some big drops in HM times ....

all the best with your training.