Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Phil Cook Offline
#1 Posted : 13 November 2018 17:38:51(UTC)
Phil Cook

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 14 post(s)
Hi All

I'm looking for feed back for this years event, so whether you were a participant, volunteer, pacer, official or spectator I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Phil
T caveney Offline
#2 Posted : 13 November 2018 21:15:53(UTC)
T caveney

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Hi Phil,I thought the course and drink stations was good. The only thing that I think could be improved was to make the baggage area bigger or use
something like the baggage lorries they use in the London marathon.
Gareth Howell Offline
#3 Posted : 13 November 2018 21:42:57(UTC)
Gareth Howell

Has liked: 3 post(s)
The security checks caused a fair bit of chaos. A number of people just decided to circumvent them by taking a short cut through the trees. Probably worth looking at that for next year.
Steve Chadwell Offline
#4 Posted : 18 November 2018 14:29:13(UTC)
Steve Chadwell

Has liked: 37 post(s)
Hi Phil,

I'm sure you've heard this from lots of others, but the obvious gripes as a runner were the rubbish t-shirt (spandex, dry clean only - really??!!), and the baggage at the start. With respect to the latter, there was no signage to indicate that there were two entrances, so everyone was entering via the runners village end. The massive queues, due to security measures, were a joke, because once you got there the security check was so rudimentary as to be completely pointless. Definitely something to sort for next year.

Positives though - the atmosphere and support are fantastic and get better every year. The point where I was running, it wasn't too crowded, with plenty of room and I was able to get into my stride soon after starting. From my experience of running last year with my daughter further back, that may not be the case further back in the field, however.

Hope that helps,

Chad
Mick McGeoch Offline
#5 Posted : 18 November 2018 16:25:51(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Hi Phil
Hope you're looking for feedback from every angle!
I watched it on TV! Cardiff always comes over very well on television, and the sights of Cardiff looked stunning. A lot of people made adverse criticism on social media about the race commentary - to which I can only reply that it isn't as easy as it looks. However the broadcasters didn't make best use of the technology at their disposal e.g. not using the 5km splits or chip timing information which gives an update of the relative positions - no one knew about the change of leadership in the wheelchair race, for instance, until 200 metres from the finish.
As a general comment as a grumpy old man, I do get frustrated at race organisers obsession with packing as many athletes as possible onto the course. Every year we hear that this is the second biggest half marathon in the UK. Bigger DOES NOT equal better, nor does it equal safer. And I would aim the same criticism at London.