Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
jamesthebruce Offline
#21 Posted : 05 December 2014 11:01:48(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Thanks Phil,

I had Tom to hold my hand through the woods.

We did see a few orc's and goblins and we went through radyr woods - Quite scary really.

that is also why Phil was wearing his bike helmet too.. i will bring mine next week perhaps bike helments and head torches. armour optional

Edited by user 05 December 2014 12:20:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tracey Newman Offline
#22 Posted : 06 December 2014 19:58:14(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
I know the winter routes are boring and very unimagtive but as a club we should be promoting safe running. So if anyone wants do the summer routes maybe it should be done on another night. I do realise that some people do train for night races. The summer routes will be review in due course so that we are able to contiune what we are doing now. James did you see any hobbits?
tim o'sullivan Offline
#23 Posted : 15 February 2019 16:51:46(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Whilst plodding round the winter 10 Thursday night training route I’ve noticed some clever types taking a sharp left down Bettws-Y-Coed Rd to avoid the ‘undulating’ Rhydypenau downhill stretch. Once the fastest bit of the run this, and to a lesser extent the return stretch along Heathwood Rd, feels more like off-road running with every passing year with a running surface the product of tectonic activity maybe, or just neglect with tree roots, dodgy tarmac and other subterranean obstacles doing their best not to keep you on your toes.

Coupled with much diminished road lighting and potentially dangerous road crossings that characterise the 5, 7 and 10 routes, plus other fiddly bits (the underpass an its stairs where, like John, I've just turned an already twisted ankle) - not to mention the joy of running along the race track that is now Western Avenue and Manor Way - is there an 'opportunity' (a word we are taught to use much at work, but which is normally the prompt for more work..) to look again at our training routes and see if there are safer and more pleasant alternatives to the current winter 5, 7 and 10? Failing that, tweaks made to the existing routes (for example the afore mentioned Bettws-Y-Coed Rd divert).

Summer is not too far away and the prospect of returning to the joyous Taff Trail (which is equally joyous in the dark when jogging with a headtorch) but with lots of new blood on committee, maybe someone could lead on and invite ideas and volunteers to help with?

Apols if this has been discussed already and looked at. Also great to see so many club members taking-up the advice to wear reflective/bright clothing, headtorches and other flashy things.
 4 users liked this post.
Gerry Crispie on 16/02/2019(UTC), Michael H Davies on 17/02/2019(UTC), paul morris on 18/02/2019(UTC), Jon Morgan on 18/02/2019(UTC)
David.E Williams Offline
#24 Posted : 15 February 2019 19:41:53(UTC)
David.E Williams

Has liked: 855 post(s)
Tim, I think you’ll find it very hard to find a 5,7 or 10 mile run route in any direction from the club that doesn’t have all you’ve mentioned above, and to change it would also take a lot of time, most people know the routes backwards, we did on a Wednesday night start a social easy run night, down to the bay from the club, I think it was more 4,7 and 10 and they went down Cathedral Road, which for running is far worst then Heathwood Rd for tree roots and tarmac.
You should join our session on a Tuesday at Leckwith stadium thats nice and flat, and fast.
But as a club I’m sure we’re open to suggestions, to find a safer route for everyone.
Mick McGeoch Offline
#25 Posted : 15 February 2019 19:54:18(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Tim, your first sentence revealed a lot.
You're not a plodder. You've got a coveted London Marathon place and you're going to fly round.
And Dave Williams is quite right about the track too. It's not just for youngsters! How do you think Rob Evans remains in Mint Condition? As for the tree roots - you might consider moving to Barry.
Moreover - why run the 10 on a Thursday anyway - all you'll get is a cold shower!
Gerry Crispie Offline
#26 Posted : 16 February 2019 22:02:08(UTC)
Gerry Crispie

Has liked: 79 post(s)
Just for info - it's not just the tree roots on Rhyd-Y-Pennau: I came a cropper on tree root on Ty-Draw road on my rare visit to the club Thursday resulting in sore bloody hip and black and blue lump on elbow (and cold shower to boot!). Accept that not everyone has my particular gait issues and that it has been looked at before, however if there were opportunity to review or add other routes, please do, else advise new members to look out
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 17/02/2019(UTC)
jamesthebruce Offline
#27 Posted : 17 February 2019 20:13:33(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
I must say the body torch i have really helps see uneven bits. I got mine from declathon but other stores have them too..really worth it. The back light is good so you can be seen by cars
 1 user liked this post.
David.E Williams on 18/02/2019(UTC)