Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#1 Posted : 24 November 2013 11:55:17(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Asthma is basically when a specific trigger causes a heightened sensitivity in the lungs which cause the airways to narrow and produce mucus. There is a good video illustration on here.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewe...es/Livingwithasthma.aspx

It has taken me a good few years to realise that chest infections were my trigger. I had been thinking that the asthma was the chest infection when the chest infection had long since gone. You can tell its just asthma because the mucus is clear and you have a tightening in the chest. Modern medications do help a great deal with this but it can still be problematic.

Obviously its a bad time of the year with high numbers of viruses about and cold weather to exacerbate symptoms. The thing is once I have recovered from the trigger which can take many weeks, I am fine until I get another cold. I wash my hands frequently and do my best to avoid infection.

I wondered if anybody had any further advice on dealing with and ridding yourself of asthma? Could training indoors get rid of it quicker? Any suggestions on how to avoid the colds or the asthma altogether? I have seen evidence (a study in children and word of mouth) that upon getting a cold if you immediately get on a steroid inhaler you could prevent the asthma altogether, any truth to this?
Ali Whittaker Offline
#2 Posted : 16 January 2014 18:38:22(UTC)
Ali Whittaker

Has liked: 128 post(s)
I'd be happy to have a hat about your asthma if it might help - but would rather do it face to face than on the forum! I try to run most Thursday nights - but not this week? Get in touch if you wish.
Ali
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#3 Posted : 18 January 2014 15:51:37(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Thakyou very much Ali.

I have tried a number of things to avoid colds and a number of things to deal with them.

Things have improved a great deal.I find colds like to strike when you ramp up the miles and when you rest. If you balance your training well and use preventative and pro active measures it is possible to sustain a heavy schedule.

I have known for some time that this was my biggest weakness but I have recently found a few chinks in its armour. I hope its enough for me to start getting some results this year!

Many thanks for your post, I will see you down the club. No doubt I will be down soon.

Hope for a pb next month. Its going to be tight.I think the difference could be just putting on my Les Croups shirt but thats the difference a great club can make!