Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Sarah Perons Offline
#21 Posted : 19 January 2014 17:44:36(UTC)
Sarah Perons

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 73 post(s)
Congratulations to all the Riverbank Rollickers who waded through an apparently record-breaking amount of mud today in the 9 mile race along the banks of the Severn. Perfect weather plus excellent organisation by Thornbury Running Club made for a great day out. HUGE choice of cakes!

I took some photos of Les Croups runners enjoying themselves in the splashy bit...sorry if I missed anyone. The link to Flickr is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30816569@N05/sets/72157639934698783/
 1 user liked this post.
Wouter Poortinga on 19/01/2014(UTC)
Stephen Quin Offline
#22 Posted : 19 January 2014 18:15:27(UTC)
Stephen Quin

Has liked: 49 post(s)
Well done everybody. Results up on Thornbury Running Club website:
http://thornburyrunningclub.co.uk/?page_id=11297
 3 users liked this post.
Wouter Poortinga on 19/01/2014(UTC), tim o'sullivan on 19/01/2014(UTC), Michael H Davies on 20/01/2014(UTC)
tim o'sullivan Offline
#23 Posted : 19 January 2014 19:29:42(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Simone de Beauvoir believed life's struggles to be compensated for by those all too rare 'perfect moments' (I may be making this up, so don't Google..).

In no particular order, mine are now:

- my first close encounter with a very large egg laying loggerhead turtle
- getting merry with student chums in Brighton after birth of first child
- kicking ass with Mike Davies one Sunday am during an almost respectable MM finish (it didn't last!)
- seeing the stars shine (at noon..) whilst watching an total eclipse in the desert
- Didier Drogba's last kick of a ball in a CFC shirt (Eto's hat-trick today almost qualifies..)
- the 3rd cake eaten at today's Riverbank Rollick

the 1st cake was the best I've even eaten. It was small ('only a little one') and looked like a mince pie. But was so (so) much more..
the 2nd cake was even better - lemon drizzle with poppy seeds. Poppy seeds sound healthy, and lemon one of my 5-a-day? But it was yumma...
then there was 3rd. It came in a bowl complete with spoon and had EVERYTHING bad on/in it

This race has GOT to be in next year's off-road club champs!!
 3 users liked this post.
Wouter Poortinga on 19/01/2014(UTC), Stephen Quin on 19/01/2014(UTC), Michael H Davies on 20/01/2014(UTC)
Wouter Poortinga Offline
#24 Posted : 19 January 2014 20:33:54(UTC)
Wouter Poortinga

Has liked: 18 post(s)
Race report:

Mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud,mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud, mud.

In summary, I second Tim, it's GOT to be in the off-road championship!!
 3 users liked this post.
David.E Williams on 19/01/2014(UTC), tim o'sullivan on 19/01/2014(UTC), Stephen Quin on 19/01/2014(UTC)
tim o'sullivan Offline
#25 Posted : 19 January 2014 21:18:35(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

A few highlights for me you've missed Dr P:

- Ridiculed on arrival by Wouter for turning up in pair of trail-trainers (slippers?) rather than Inov8 mudclaws
- Ankle (knee?) deep cow slurry, cow slurry, cow slurry, cow slurry, cow slurry, cow slurry (etc..).
- trying to work out where the river stops and the riverbank begins
- TARMAC! (200 yds?). Am never going to moan about roads again..
- 'The hand of God'; outstretched hand of marshall appears and drags me up wall of mud (that bit in the forest..)
- slide into brambles (reps - x6??)
- Mike Murphy wins MV60!

PS Thanks for the lift Graeme :@)

Edited by user 19 January 2014 23:30:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
Stephen Quin on 19/01/2014(UTC), Wouter Poortinga on 20/01/2014(UTC)
Rod Perons Offline
#26 Posted : 19 January 2014 22:28:18(UTC)
Rod Perons

Lots of mud for sure and a very good off road event. I also think it should be considered for the Club Championship next year. All very well organised and marshalled by Thornbury Running Club so well worth supporting. LC mens' team was third this year. My thanks to David McDonald for encouraging me to enter.
 4 users liked this post.
Stephen Quin on 19/01/2014(UTC), Wouter Poortinga on 20/01/2014(UTC), David McDonald on 20/01/2014(UTC), tim o'sullivan on 20/01/2014(UTC)
sashamacken
#27 Posted : 20 January 2014 09:10:01(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I am amazed how the organizers managed to cultivate so many different types of mud with variable amounts viscosity, depth and smell. Not just the odd patch, mud was present on a variety of terrains for the ENTIRE 9 miles.
Saying that, I absolutely loved the day and would do it again. Well done to Thornbury RC for staging an event like this. Lots of enthusiastic marshals present to make sure I made it back to the finish.
I too was mocked by Wouter for lack of MudClaws on my feet. I could have worn flip flops and not noticed the difference in my mud agility.
David McDonald Offline
#28 Posted : 20 January 2014 09:39:37(UTC)
David McDonald

Has liked: 34 post(s)
Fabulous race as ever – good to see that large volumes of cake hold no fear for hardened Croups veterans! It’s fair to say though that even race regulars were shocked by the sheer volume and variety of mud on offer – only the thought of cake kept the majority of us going. My trail shoes were completely inappropriate and even after the ‘shoe washing facility’ (stream) at the end were completely slick with mud – must listen to Wouter more often about shoe choices. Thanks also to the Croups Pit Stop crew and to Sasha, Kirsty, Mike and Gill for wheel-based encouragement.
Official Croups winners on the day (although I think that we all felt like winners just for getting round):
3rd team
Mike Murphy 1st MV60
Cath Tailby 1st FV40
 2 users liked this post.
tim o'sullivan on 20/01/2014(UTC), Mike Murphy on 20/01/2014(UTC)
Michael H Davies Offline
#29 Posted : 20 January 2014 11:38:12(UTC)
Michael H Davies

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 773 post(s)
Character building…

Have you got the date of next year's Rollick(...before entry closes)?

Well done all.

Mike Murphy Offline
#30 Posted : 20 January 2014 13:12:35(UTC)
Mike Murphy

Has liked: 98 post(s)
Thanks Dave for bringing this event to my attention - I will never listen to you ever again and Gill is not speaking to you.

It was one of the hardest events I have ever done with mud from beginning to end. Will I ever do it again - YOU BET I WILL.

Great event put on by Thornbury it's what off road running is all about and well done to all the Les Croups that survived the battle.

Mike

tim o'sullivan Offline
#31 Posted : 20 January 2014 14:52:21(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Well run Mike - you’re an animal! And that kind of mud (beauty) treatment costs £40 a session at The Village RollEyes

On which note - basking in rare winter sun, and chatting with happy smiling people after the race (as opposed to the chatting that went on during) I felt both calves and upper legs dramatically stiffen. ‘That’ll teach me’ the first thought, paying the price for all that lack of training - before looking down and realising that this new found rigidity was due to a rather impressive, and rapidly drying, lower body mud encasement.

‘Caked in mud’ (the phrase) must surely originate from the muddiest and cakeiest race around?
 1 user liked this post.
Mike Murphy on 20/01/2014(UTC)