Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Phil Cook Offline
#1 Posted : 16 October 2019 16:51:02(UTC)
Phil Cook

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 14 post(s)
We've had a review of the Thursday night training routes, this is due to the condition of some of the pavements and also to bring the distances more in-line with the summer routes. These will now be the recognised Club routes for Insurance purposes.

There are canges to ALL 3 routes.

THESE CHANGES WILL TAKE EFFECT FROM THURSDAY 17TH OCTOBER

BELOW YOU WILL SEE A DESCRIPTION OF EACH OF THE ROUTES :

5 miles (4.8 miles)
Bus stop, Western Avenue, slip road, Gabalfa roundabout, North Road, underpass, Caerphilly Road, Rhydhelig Avenue, King George V Drive West, King George V Drive North, turn right at the end of the park on to the footpath that runs along the Hospital fence, Rhydhelig Avenue, Caerphilly Road, underpass, North Road, Gabalfa roundabout, slip road, Western Avenue, Bus stop.

7 miles (7.5 miles)
Bus stop, Western Avenue, slip road, Gabalfa roundabout, North Road, underpass, Caerphilly Road, Rhydhelig Avenue, King George V Drive West, King George V Drive North, King George V Drive East, turn left at 3rd roundabout on park, King George V Drive East, Allensbank Road, Wedal Road, the Juboraj, Fairoak Road, Lake Road East, Lake Road North, Heath Halt Road, King George V Drive East, turn right into King George V Drive North, King George V Drive West, Rhydhelig Avenue, Caerphilly Road, underpass, North Road, Gabalfa roundabout, slip road, Western Avenue, Bus stop.

10 miles (10.1 miles)
Bus stop, Western Avenue, slip road, Gabalfa roundabout, North Road, underpass, Caerphilly Road, Rhydhelig Avenue, King George V Drive West, King George V Drive North, King George V Drive East, turn left at 3rd roundabout on park, King George V Drive East, Allensbank Road, Wedal Road, the Juboraj, Fairoak Road, Ty-Draw Road, Pen-y-Lan Road, Cyncoed Road, Bettws-y-Coed Road, Dan-y-Coed Road, Rhyd-y-Penau Road, Heath Park Avenue, King George V Drive East, turn right into King George V Drive North, King George V Drive West, Rhydhelig Avenue, Caerphilly Road, underpass, North Road, Gabalfa roundabout, slip road, Western Avenue, Bus stop.
File Attachment(s):
Thursday Night Winter Route - 5 miles.pdf (422kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
Thursday Night Winter Route - 7 miles.pdf (429kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
Thursday Night Winter Route - 10 miles.pdf (555kb) downloaded 47 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
 6 users liked this post.
Alan S Mason on 16/10/2019(UTC), Steve B Lewis on 16/10/2019(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 17/10/2019(UTC), David.E Williams on 17/10/2019(UTC), Gerry Crispie on 27/10/2019(UTC), Steve Chadwell on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Eve Gallop-Evans Offline
#2 Posted : 16 October 2019 18:03:46(UTC)
Eve Gallop-Evans

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 206 post(s)
Thanks Phil. My only comment would be that I wouldn’t be keen, on the 5 mile route, to run on the path in the park along the hospital if I had ended up running on my own.
 1 user liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 17/10/2019(UTC)
Alan S Mason Offline
#3 Posted : 16 October 2019 18:32:32(UTC)
Alan S Mason

Groups: Administrators, Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 238 post(s)
Avoiding Heathwood Road can only be a good thing so thanks to the people who thought this up. As for the five mile route I guess it's a matter of making sure nobody's left behind unless they are clear they are OK with that. We should really be doing this anyway on the club run.BigGrin
 1 user liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 17/10/2019(UTC)
Martin McClatchey Offline
#4 Posted : 16 October 2019 18:39:16(UTC)
Martin McClatchey

Has liked: 22 post(s)
Eve,
I work in an building immediately behind the path and am often leaving late in the dark so can understand your apprehension about the Heath Park path section.
Although not measured, if you are worried about light/running alone, there is an opening from the path on the left hand side on to the Heath Campus. You would have to run about 100 on the path first. If you then turn right and follow the road called Heath Park way formally straight, this tracks parallel to the park (past the children's hospital and maternity unit) and will lead back to the bottom of King George V avenue and subsequently Rhydelig avenue.
This is a fairly well lit and generally there isn't much traffic at the time of night you would be running so would be an easy and not too deviant compromise.
 2 users liked this post.
Eve Gallop-Evans on 16/10/2019(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 17/10/2019(UTC)
Mick McGeoch Offline
#5 Posted : 17 October 2019 11:55:14(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Given that the amended routes start tonight, may I suggest that we all take a little more time to look after one another whilst we are becoming familiar with the parts which are different. Safety is always be to be our biggest concern during the winter months, so avoiding Heathwood Road with its uneven pavements, numerous junctions and bins on the pavement has to be a good idea.
Phil Cook Offline
#6 Posted : 17 October 2019 16:18:55(UTC)
Phil Cook

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 14 post(s)
If people aren’t happy with the proposal for the 5 mile route then there is the option to turn around at the second roundabout on King George V Dr and then fully retrace your steps, but it will have to decided on as one or the other as the official route.

I’ve used the footpath several times when doing reps or a tempo and I know others use it as well.
 2 users liked this post.
David.E Williams on 17/10/2019(UTC), Eve Gallop-Evans on 17/10/2019(UTC)
Steve Chadwell Offline
#7 Posted : 23 January 2020 16:25:30(UTC)
Steve Chadwell

Has liked: 37 post(s)
Just wanting to bump this post so that it's on the front page again.

I'm not sure who is able to do this, but could this thread be made "sticky", and the thread with the old routes "unstuck" please? I had to rely on my wife when looking for the new routes for tonight! BigGrin

Martin McClatchey Offline
#8 Posted : 05 March 2020 14:30:36(UTC)
Martin McClatchey

Has liked: 22 post(s)
5 mile Route update - SAFETY WARNING

There's (still) a massive and impassable puddle that has formed at the mid-point of the path on the south side of Heath Park i.e. along the back of the hospital site.
This is the path you turn right on to at the end of King George V avenue. The puddle has been taped off on the east side of the path today as a warning to pedestrians/runners/cyclists.

The puddle is easily avoided by deviating on to the road/paths running along the north side of the hospital (past the Children's Hospital, Ronald McDonald House and Maternity) and joining back up with King George V at the road entrance of the hospital.

Please let anyone know who might be running the 5 mile route tonight and ensure they have company in order to safely avoid water hazards and anything else that might get in the way!
 2 users liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 06/03/2020(UTC), David.E Williams on 06/03/2020(UTC)