Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Marcus Meyrick Offline
#1 Posted : 02 June 2020 19:21:30(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 602 post(s)
Virtual Castles Relay
Ladies and gents, we have been invited to participate in a “Virtual” Welsh Castles Relay by Winchester Athletics Club. They are so disappointed with the loss of the event for a year that they are running their own “Virtual” Castles Relay along with Lliswerry Runners.

The idea is to replicate, as closely as possible the stages of the WCR, including elevation, time of day and distance.

The idea is to replicate, as closely as possible the stages of the WCR, including elevation, time of day and distance.
This is to take place NEXT WEEKEND! (6th and 7th June)
We have agreed to participate as long as we can get enough runners interested!

The requirements allow us to enter open, male and female teams. If necessary, multiples of each.
My initial thought is to enter 1 open team unless we can get enough runners to put in male and female teams as well.

They also have a “mini” Castles which is the same format but only half distance of the full event stages.

If you are interested in running a leg for us then please add your name below for me and I will add you to the list and arrange stages for everyone.

Unlike the actual Castles event this is a participation event so all runners are welcome to have a go. If you are interested then please drop your name below and I will do my best to get things organised ASAP.
Cheers
Marcus and Claire

1 user liked this post.
Alan S Mason on 03/06/2020(UTC)
Alan S Mason Offline
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 14:03:05(UTC)
Alan S Mason

Groups: Administrators, Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 238 post(s)
Hi Marcus

I'm interested, what's the deal, is it that you try to find a run with similar distance and profile to a castles stage then time yourself on GPS?
Marcus Meyrick Offline
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 16:16:53(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Hi Alan,
Yes, exactly that. You need to match the distance and get as close to the elevation as you can. All results will be submitted online. Ideally with a strava link but manual inputs are allowed as well. I will supply the link to enter results soon. You also need to try and run the stage as close to the official start time as you can as well.. IE, if you are given stage 11 which in the real race is at 7am on the Sunday morning then we would like you to get somewhere near to that starting time.

There is a handicap system that will adjust times if the elevation doesn't quite match the stated elevation so the further you are away from the required elevation, the larger the time penalty that would be added.

Cheers
Alan S Mason Offline
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 16:33:56(UTC)
Alan S Mason

OK, I'm happy to be included, don't mind when I run, or what distance, let me know if you need me.BigGrin
Marcus Meyrick Offline
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 20:22:12(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Virtual Castles this weekend:

Ok ladies and gents, here are the runners stages for this weekends Virtual Castles. If your stage doesn't suit then please let me know.

We have 21 runners for 20 stages so Rebecca Playle and Alan Mason are both going to run Stage 4

Here are the rules:
1: Start your stage as close to the stated time as possible
2: Match the distance of your stage
3: Get as close to the elevation profile for your stage as you can. This will not be possible on some stages but use Strava or MapMyRun to play around.

Please note: a correction factor will be applied to your time for the distance and elevation of your stage if it doesn't quite match. The further you are away from the target, the more of a correction there will be on your time. This can be in excess of a 5% change so get as close to the target as you can do - safely of course!! Please don't run up and down a hill on an A road!

4: Remember to properly social distance and respect other public you might come across. It might be worth contacting other people on your stage to organise this if you plan to do similar routes.
5: Race with your Les Croupiers vest on and send us a photo!!
6: Submit your result via the results page https://wadac-virtual-races.eu-gb.mybluemix.net/. Ideally this is using Strava but manual submission is also available. When doing this, select your club, team and stage and submit your result. You will need to make the activity public to be able to submit it.
 1 user liked this post.
Alan S Mason on 04/06/2020(UTC)
Alan S Mason Offline
#6 Posted : 06 June 2020 13:40:27(UTC)
Alan S Mason

Hi Marcus

I tried the link but it just kept coming up as a blank email. Below is the link to my run, hope this is alright.

https://mysports.tomtom..../app/activity/434998608/

Let me know if there's anything else you need me to do.

Really enjoyed this, although without the sleep deprivation it will never be like the real thing!
Thanks for organising this.
Alan S Mason Offline
#7 Posted : 06 June 2020 14:05:56(UTC)
Alan S Mason

I had an idea while I was in the shower! I pasted the link into Chrome and it worked. I've submitted the results properly now.

Alan
 1 user liked this post.
Marcus Meyrick on 06/06/2020(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick Offline
#8 Posted : 06 June 2020 15:14:03(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Brilliant run Alan. Well done.
Alan S Mason Offline
#9 Posted : 06 June 2020 16:29:05(UTC)
Alan S Mason

Thanks Marcus, best I could do, great to be able to watch it unfold over the two days.
 1 user liked this post.
Marcus Meyrick on 06/06/2020(UTC)