Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ange Champion
#1 Posted : 13 January 2014 08:49:21(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Am contemplating doing this in September with a friend, has anyone done this before and if so any words of advice?

cheers
Hywel
#2 Posted : 13 January 2014 15:41:58(UTC)

Yep I did the Long Course (89km) in 2013 and would thoroughly recommend it. It's a really well hosted event (feed stations are well stocked and the folks running it are friendly) and what better place for a challenge than the Brecon Beacons!

Advice would be to pack a decent waterproof and be prepared for a lot of ups and downs (both literally and mentally). Oh and best brush up on your map/compass skills as it's self navigation.

Best of luck
Ange Champion
#3 Posted : 14 January 2014 07:47:21(UTC)

Thanks Hywel - what footwear did you wear, trail trainers or walking boots?

Will be doing lots of training in the Beacons post London marathon so want to train in same type of footwear as i will wear on race day.
Hywel
#4 Posted : 14 January 2014 11:01:33(UTC)

The majority of people wore sturdy boots, something like Inov8 Roclite or Salomon Speedcross. I opted for a more minimalist trail shoe but that's just a personal preference

I might be preaching to the choir here but it's worth mentioning just how tough running in the dark can be. The race starts before sunrise and most people were still out long after sunset. It might not sound like a great deal but personally I find that a far greater challenge than the distance or elevation. When you're fatigued/disorientated/hungry the last thing you want in that environment is to have your sight limited to the few meters your head-torch allows. Ultra-distance running (especially at nighttime) is much less of a physical challenge and more a mental battle to keep putting one foot in front of the other, one I'm sure you'll conquer Ange
Richard Self Offline
#5 Posted : 14 January 2014 20:10:55(UTC)
Richard Self

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 37 post(s)
Hi Ange. Looks a good one to do, I just hope you get good weather. I have done a few of this style of event over the years and these are my top tips.

1. Use tried and trusted kit on the day. Blisters and chafing can stop you.

2. Stick to familiar food and drink, and don't over eat as ' gastrointestinal disturbance' will also stop you

3. Start slow, chat and enjoy the view as it will get grim later.

4. Keep slow and don't ever stop or sit down. The pain restarting isn't worth it.

5. They allow GPS so use it. In the dark and rain, missing checkpoints can happen.

6. Use walking poles and train with them. It transfers some of the pain from the legs.

7. Enjoy the training. A summer leaping around the hills. Bliss. Do some stuff at night too.

8. Bottles beat bladders

9. Take Monday and Tuesday off work, you may not be able to walk!

10. Plan a nice holiday out treat for after the race as you may feel drained and a bit low after you come off the emotional high. The recovery is long.

Good luck and I wish I was up to it.
roy silver
#6 Posted : 01 February 2014 16:47:13(UTC)

Richard have looked at your advice as in,
1-3 sounds good
4- some time in the day nature will call.
5- GPS are good but be careful it might lead you to a cliff/ shear drop.
6- carry extra kit or leave them and pick up in the latter stages.
7- yep.
8- will go for the bladders every time, takes time to refill but enjoy the rest.
9-10 have booked 2 weeks in Crete straight afterwards.