Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Mick McGeoch Offline
#1 Posted : 31 August 2013 17:59:41(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
I know parkrun still has its detractors, and I still can't work out why. To my mind, running is one of the purest sports of all. It can be enjoyed by anyone. So a free entry, particularly in the current economic climate, is a masterstroke.
5km is a great distance. Far enough to feel you achieved something, yet attainable for almost anyone.
Today's Cardiff parkrun, even by the event's high standards, was a bit special. We were all excited. Of course, it was mostly about Martin. A 60 year old posting the times he's posting is incredible. It's not only inspiring, but it gives hope to those in the autumn of their lives.
But there were close to 500 other reasons to celebrate. Seeing the panorama of colour emerge from the trees from the other side of the Park on a sunny late summer's morning is a sight to behold. It's stunning. The spectrum of ages, abilities, each striving around the paths is breathtaking. I recommend marshalling to anyone. You can learn so much by simply watching.
I haven't yet seen the results, but the word in Martin narrowly missed his own record by 4 seconds. Hardly a disappointment. I believe that's now 7 5km races he's done in the 16:08 - 16:22 range. And that's the secret - a model of consistency. But there was plenty more to celebrate. A great win for Tez, and a huge PB on parkrun. A sparkling run by Huw Evans, a first sub-16 minutes for Ed, in his 201st parkrun! Another great run for Oli, just 14 hours after winning the previous night's One Mile Time Trial.
I'm sure there were many more memorable personal moments. For me, it was just a pleasure to watch.
Why not add your own memories here:
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 01/09/2013(UTC)
Maldwyn
#2 Posted : 31 August 2013 18:33:26(UTC)

Groups: Guests

The Parkrun is great for people like me, trying to return to running after a break of 25 years! It's relatively forgiving, like today, when I quickly realised that my legs wouldn't work properly, but I relaxed as much as I could, and comforted myself with the thought that was only 30 or so minutes to go.

I'm now looking forward to next week. Hopefully with legs that work.

One of the good things is seeing/talking to people I haven't seen for years. I saw one guy today I used to go to Boys Brigade with, and play subbuteo with 40 years ago. I recognised him straight away, but didn't have a chance to chat, as I was late arriving at the start.

Another is the support of the marshals/spectators. I may have looked a little miserable today, but I did appreciate the support of Mick and the others. It was also great to see Martin Rees in the flesh - as he wizzed past on his way back, before I'd reached halfway.

It would be useful if there was a starting gun though (or loud whistle). I didn't realise the run had started today, not that the delay in starting had much of an effect on my time. The starter also told us to run on the left - which caused some confusion for newer runners like me, as the marshals then told us to run on the right.

Edited by user 01 September 2013 01:49:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ed Offline
#3 Posted : 31 August 2013 21:08:21(UTC)
ed

Groups: Administrators, Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 72 post(s)
It has its detractors?! I've never met one. There was that woman whose dog nearly got run over I suppose.

parkrun was what got me into running, it doesn't seem like long ago when I turned up at my first one and was delighted with a sub 20 and managing to beat a few "proper" runners in club vests! It's been life changing and opened up a whole new world of sporting fun and friends (and a fiancee).

There did seem a bit of a buzz before the start this morning, I knew today had to be the day to go to the absolute limit to finally break 16 minutes with good conditions and a group of speedy runners at the front.

Still can't quite believe I've done it, it was two and a half years ago that after a whole lot of hard training I managed to get under 17 minutes (taking Jerome down by 1 second) and the idea of ever being able to get under 16 seemed ridiculous.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Edited by user 31 August 2013 21:09:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
tim o'sullivan on 01/09/2013(UTC), amanda thompson on 02/09/2013(UTC)
mike rossiter Offline
#4 Posted : 01 September 2013 06:42:33(UTC)
mike rossiter

Has liked: 88 post(s)
Great effort, Ed. It was great to see the front group all working together. Very impressive.
Stuart Crees Offline
#5 Posted : 01 September 2013 09:50:42(UTC)
Stuart Crees

Has liked: 93 post(s)
Looked like a fantastic park run yesterday. I think it all came together at the sharp end with the guys hitting form at the right time, and all in the right race with what seemed like good conditions. These tend to be the factors for breaking barriers/PBs

I'm personally pleased to see Ed breaking the 16 min barrier. His training has indicated this to me a while ago (although Ed always argued against what I was telling him! :-) ) It was his day yesterday! Brilliant!
JogAlong (Jeff Aston) Offline
#6 Posted : 05 September 2013 21:40:25(UTC)
JogAlong (Jeff Aston)

Groups: Administrators, Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Well done Ed
A great effort!