Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tracey Newman Offline
#1 Posted : 09 June 2014 10:25:18(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 235 post(s)
Although I have been told it's not possible I am still wondering if there was any way the organisers could provide more opportunities' for more people to actually run especially those of us who have members for a long time. There are a lot members who would love to actually run ( ideally in a croups vest ) but feel overlooked. I understand that the clubs wants the best team possible but I also feel with the large membership we have that we should try and give every member who wishes to run the opportunity to take part. I don't want to start a big row but would just like to see more people in the club have the opportunity to take part if they wish to. I had planned to come to the finished and if I could drive I would have.
 1 user liked this post.
tim o'sullivan on 09/06/2014(UTC)
amanda thompson Offline
#2 Posted : 09 June 2014 11:04:29(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
This year we took a record high of 65 teams. The race traffic that goes along with this is pretty massive, and that, along with health and safety factors, limit the size of this race. The club already has three teams entered so to include any more means knocking out others, and that would be really detrimental to this race.

Tracy, both you and I (and others) have to face facts - we're not fast enough to make the team, and besides, we would not make the cut off times on some of the stages either, which would give a hefty penalty to the team. Truth is, not every can take part to run.

However………..there are other ways to be involved. The marshals and officials are highly valued members of the team and all (hopefully) have a great weekend too. You should put your name down with Mike Davies to be part of the crew next year.
 2 users liked this post.
David.E Williams on 09/06/2014(UTC), matt hurford on 10/06/2014(UTC)
Stephen Hitchen Offline
#3 Posted : 09 June 2014 12:12:41(UTC)
Stephen Hitchen

Has liked: 175 post(s)
I agree entirely with Amanda's comments about 'other ways to be involved'. I went along on one of the minibuses last year as an unofficial hanger on. I handed out lots of water and sweets, did a lot of clapping and cheering and helped out with marshalling on one of the stages. It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and you get all the excitement of being involved without the hard work of actually running a stage. This year I did it all again and had a good laugh. I thoroughly recommend it.

As for the running, if you organise it well, you can still run a stage or two. Just not at the same time as the main race. :-)
 7 users liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 09/06/2014(UTC), Dave Hodges on 09/06/2014(UTC), amanda thompson on 09/06/2014(UTC), David.E Williams on 09/06/2014(UTC), Aine Kenny on 09/06/2014(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 09/06/2014(UTC), Chris Pristavec on 09/06/2014(UTC)
Michael H Davies Offline
#4 Posted : 09 June 2014 16:04:08(UTC)
Michael H Davies

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 773 post(s)
Inside I'm running.

Would the Rack Raid be too much for our club a week before the Castles?
Richard Self Offline
#5 Posted : 09 June 2014 16:19:22(UTC)
Richard Self

Has liked: 37 post(s)
At the finish ceremony Simon Nurse quoted Woody. To paraphrase 'the Castles is the world cup and Olympics. When I am too slow to run I will marshal, drive and help. When my body is too old and infirm to make the trip to the north I will come to the finish line and make tea for the finishers'.
 8 users liked this post.
tim o'sullivan on 09/06/2014(UTC), Stephen Hitchen on 09/06/2014(UTC), Dave Hodges on 09/06/2014(UTC), amanda thompson on 09/06/2014(UTC), Claire Bruce on 09/06/2014(UTC), David.E Williams on 09/06/2014(UTC), Aine Kenny on 09/06/2014(UTC), Phill Thomas on 10/06/2014(UTC)
Dave Hodges Offline
#6 Posted : 09 June 2014 17:47:57(UTC)
Dave Hodges

Has liked: 139 post(s)
So,castle's is over for another year (at least the running side of it)and I for one feel honoured to play a part in it. I am very realistic and know that I will never be quick enough to be part of our running team. To much Guinness (Dave E Williams please note)always gets the better of me, but feel just as involved or maybe even more by being one of the marshalls during the weekend. Having started doing this 3 years ago there is no way I would miss a year and if not needed as a marshall I would be certain, like Steve, to grab a seat on one of the buses and cheer everyone on. Thanks everyone for one of the best weekends of the year and bring on WCR2015.
P.S
Tracey, get your name down for next years bus, Mick travels on them !!!
 4 users liked this post.
David.E Williams on 09/06/2014(UTC), amanda thompson on 09/06/2014(UTC), tim o'sullivan on 09/06/2014(UTC), Aine Kenny on 09/06/2014(UTC)
tim o'sullivan Offline
#7 Posted : 09 June 2014 18:32:47(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Wise words Dave Hodges. But lots of sympathy Tracey. If only I had an ounce of your determination...

A one-off 'allstars' team was briefly considered by Professor DickB for the 30th Anniversary race, this to give those who'd never run the Castles the chance to experience the race. But for the very reasons Amanda states (ethics, cut-off times, logistics, excluding another club entry to enable etc..) the idea was quickly shelved

I had a mini WCR dilemma of my own along similar lines, many years ago (yawnnnn..Sleep). Surprisingly offered a place in the Vets (2008? I was running like rubbish..) a bit of my brain that sometimes works did the 'honourable thing' and pointed out one or two others not selected in much better shape. So I deselected myself ("Idiot!"), sulked briefly, but helped-out instead. Easy decision. Competing at the expense of more able Croups members not an option needless to say - and at this rate we'll be competing to help out next year?

Mick McGeoch Offline
#8 Posted : 09 June 2014 20:16:59(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Tracey, I'm hugely sympathetic to your wanting to run, but unfortunately, for the reasons stated previously, the logistics mean it simply isn't possible. As things stand, only 60 members out of a total of around 300 can actually compete. I consider myself very fortunate to still be able to make the team after so long. But I know this won't last forever, even though I'll still be trying to make the squad for as long as I can. But not being able to compete doesn't mean not being able to participate. Anyone can participate, and you can do so in many ways.
Indeed - just like the Olympics or like parkrun (or indeed, any athlete event) the real heroes are the volunteers - and this is what makes the Castles so great - almost everyone wants to do their bit. There was a quote at the Finish Ceremony that was mentioned earlier by Richard Self. It's important to explain the context of that quote. Towards the end of the 1980s the race only had between 20 and 30 teams - and we fielded 4 teams (not 3). But given the growth of the race, and the fact that it was getting both larger and stronger in quality, we knew that more people had to help, and a decision was made to cut the number of teams we could enter to 3 - for the good of the race. A few selfish members at the time said they weren't prepared to help if they weren't guaranteed a race.
Woody, the Race Co-ordinator at the time (spending most of the year organising the event - just as John Griffin and Amanada Thompson, amongst others do now) was incensed - and as editor of ACE, told members what he thought of them, and quite rightly too! The Castles is a project which is admired by all - and invariably the same teams want to enter every year. If there is a better relay anywhere, I'd love to know about it. Not only that, the Castles has been copied in both this country and in many others. It may never be perfect - but it's close!
To anyone who's never been involved before, or perhaps only seen a small part of it - please put it in your 2015 diaries now.
And finally - a mention for one of our many unsung heroes. Alan Bladen in his younger days was one hell of an athlete. Woody dubbed him "the King of the Crumblies". However, in time, Alan was no longer faster enough to make the Vets team. But he'd always be at the Castles. Alan would put signs up "Warning Runners" - and take them down. That's all he'd do. But those signs are for everyone's safety. We'd never see him - and he'd never see any of the race. He did this for many years. As you all know, Alan was in hospital recently for many weeks, and only recently discharged. I missed seeing Alan at the Castles this year. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing Alan well.
 7 users liked this post.
amanda thompson on 09/06/2014(UTC), Paul Chapman on 09/06/2014(UTC), paul morris on 10/06/2014(UTC), Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 10/06/2014(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 10/06/2014(UTC), Phill Thomas on 10/06/2014(UTC), Michael H Davies on 11/06/2014(UTC)
Tim Green
#9 Posted : 09 June 2014 21:44:48(UTC)

Groups: Guests

W-e-l-l Mick… Far be it for me and all that… But a quick glance at Tracey's times reveals a half marathon time that would make the cut off. I marshalled one stage where a runner was within two minutes of the cut off, so Tracey would not even have been last - though that's not my point. My point is that when you say "the logistics mean it simply isn't possible" there is nothing in the actual logistics of the race that would exclude her from taking part. The truth, which is absolutely fine, and within the rights of the club, is that we want the fastest runners to be out there - in other words getting three teams to win is more important than offering the experience of running to people who won't win. Fair enough. No one let me have a go in the Olympics either. But there are teams who take runners of Tracey's speed - just not ours, because we want to win and we know we can if we pick the right team. But that is a decision, not an insurmountable fact of life. It is a choice. The fact is that, if Tracey wanted to run there is nothing logistical to stop her. We could have one of the three teams drawn by lottery, or Tracey could choose to leave the club and run for another team. Ambitions are ambitions and generally the biggest obstacles are human decisions - not least those we make for ourselves. Impossible, as the tee shirt says, is nothing. Tracey, if your heart is set on running castles, then no one but you will stop you from completing your stage some day. Just don't miss the bloody cut off, OK?

Edited by user 09 June 2014 21:50:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ed Offline
#10 Posted : 10 June 2014 09:20:42(UTC)
ed

Groups: Administrators, Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 72 post(s)
I think entering a team in Rack Raid is a good idea, with priority to people who don't make the Castles team. It's not the same as Castles of course but still a great event and a chance to enjoy the relay experience.

Rack Raid
 2 users liked this post.
Stephen Hitchen on 10/06/2014(UTC), Oli Williams on 10/06/2014(UTC)
amanda thompson Offline
#11 Posted : 10 June 2014 10:22:20(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
We'd need other(s) to organise that though, as team captain(s) have enough to do with the other relays, epsecially when Rack Raid is only a week before the Castles Relay. Tracy - one for you to take on?

Edited by user 10 June 2014 10:42:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil Cook Offline
#12 Posted : 10 June 2014 12:07:45(UTC)
Phil Cook

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 14 post(s)
The Rack Raid is an Invitation only event, and I don't know if we would get an invite.
 1 user liked this post.
amanda thompson on 10/06/2014(UTC)
Tracey Newman Offline
#13 Posted : 10 June 2014 13:47:16(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
Yes I understand that we want teams in contention but I wasn't just speaking for myself. Over the many years I have belong to the club many women have wanted to compete in the Castles but like me feel a bit left out. Yes I know I could volunteer and I have done so for other races but it is not the same as running. Yes without the organization and volunteers you would not have any race so I agree they are important which is why I get fed up with runners who take the p..... Bot it is the experience and the achievement of completing a race you through you could not do. London is good example of this. When I started running I told my Dad I wanted to run a marathon he told me not to be stupid I could not run down the street. He soon ate humble pie when I complete my first London Marathon and then eventually joining Les Croups. Soon he join me running competing two London Marathons and whatever race he fancied until his cancer said no more. Which was hard for me as I wanted to give up but I didn't. The point being that achievement is there for anyone who wants it. The club does indeed but in three teams but only one of them is a female team. I probably won't make the Olympics either but some of the best Olympians are the ones who just happy and proud to be there especially when you consider that SOME of the medal hopefuls have been done for drugs. I am thinking about helping next year ( Mick fancy listening to some Pink Floyd?) but part of me will always want to run, yes I could change clubs but why when I enjoy being with Les Croups. After all everyone knows Les Croups and impossible is nothing.
Claire Bruce Offline
#14 Posted : 10 June 2014 14:59:53(UTC)
Claire Bruce

Has liked: 522 post(s)
Tracey, I truly hope you don't mean it when you say that you and other ladies of the club feel left out of the castles event. As alluded to above in other posts ALL members can come and experience this unique event by for example driving a bus, marshalling at any point throughout the race or specifically on stage 20.
However, as the person that ultimately picked the women's team let me tell you my thoughts on this (this is in relation to the women's team really).

1) I would bet that the majority of the women of the club would easily met the cut off and not disgrace themselves in the race. But at the end of the day it is a race and we should be challenging for the title every year and I firmly believe that if we get our best runners out we could win. So that is why i tried to pick the quickest runners available.

2) Unfortunately Tim I disagree. Logisitically it would be a nightmare to drop off and pick up runners to other stages (as we did very well with the buses this year) as we physically could not get other runners through the race traffic if we did not have the quickest runners out. I was left behind by the bus at the end of my stage as there was not enough time to pick me up and get Hazel to stage 10 and if this was repeated on other stages then our efforts to use buses to reduce traffic would be in vain as people would have to drive themselves, so adding to the traffic and having a negative accumulative effect on the volume of traffic.

3) I emailed, texted, facebook messaged, phoned and sent smoke signals from the garth to get the ladies to step up and help with various jobs over the weekend. Thankfully a lot of people did do that and this is just as important for the race to be a success. So if you want to see the race from a different perspective sign up for this. Michelle Amblin was actually turning people away as we more than covered the marshalling points on our section of stage 20!

4) If we really want to understand my frustration with the teams I am stating now I want to be on the vets team next year as I can't let James Bruce win yet another castles trophy (he has three from four attempts and I only have one from 9!!!) but then that would be opening up a HUGE can of worms and as you all know I am not one to argue!!!
 3 users liked this post.
amanda thompson on 10/06/2014(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 10/06/2014(UTC), Dave Hodges on 11/06/2014(UTC)
Mick McGeoch Offline
#15 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:15:55(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Tracey, come and share a bus with me and we can listen to Pink Floyd all the way from Caernarfon to Cardiff whilst we support the runners.
"Money. Get away. Get a good job with more pay and you're OK"
Get practicing. More training and learning the words please.
"Wish you were here".
 2 users liked this post.
Marcus Meyrick on 10/06/2014(UTC), Michael H Davies on 11/06/2014(UTC)
jamesthebruce Offline
#16 Posted : 10 June 2014 18:23:21(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Richard so you have it, your leg 10 runner for next year spot already booked... Claire - well volunteered..as there is an open spot for the vets team on that leg.. or i'm certainly not keen again.. !..

I know I wont be in the vets team for ever but I'm so grateful being part of the team..its a great atmosphere and the reality is this is the only real competition that an average runner like myself really has a chance of winning which gives it even more meaning... when i'm too slow for the vets team which as the standard keeps getting better may be sooner than i think i will helping out as much as I can.. and using bells, horns and what ever noise makers I can..

A big thanks to everyone to the support this year..
 4 users liked this post.
Marcus Meyrick on 10/06/2014(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 10/06/2014(UTC), Phill Thomas on 10/06/2014(UTC), Dave Hodges on 11/06/2014(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#17 Posted : 10 June 2014 21:32:09(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
I will keep fighting for a place in the Castles every year.

There is something about the Castles that makes you fight that little bit harder. I get a sense of pride running in the Castles that I don't get running anything else.You can see all the efforts of your team mates and feel obliged to apply yourself in equal measure.

I think one of the reasons that this club is so successful is because of the collective attitude of everyone associated with it.

I was a reserve last year and didn't get to run, it was honestly the toughest Castles I have been involved in.Being in constant anticipation of having to run and the anticlimax of not running. I'm glad I was not needed but as a runner you want to be running.

If I don't make the cut I understand and don't take it personally because after all it is a race.When I was initially a reserve this year I looked at the team sheet and I didn't feel hard done by at all. I was chuffed to even be in with a chance of running.

It is rough people never being able to run it and it would be nice if something could be done. Im not sure what that could be though.Sad
 3 users liked this post.
Claire Bruce on 11/06/2014(UTC), Michael H Davies on 11/06/2014(UTC), jamesthebruce on 11/06/2014(UTC)