Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Richie Bullen Offline
#41 Posted : 08 September 2014 12:39:59(UTC)
Richie Bullen

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 52 post(s)
Congratulations to all those who claimed a 10K P.B. yesterday; my P.B. stretches back to the 1988 Cardiff 10K so I can't remember what it's like!
But I have to disagree with Mr McGeoch about retaining this course. What rubbish! - he just fell in love with this course because he magnificently eclipsed last years time.
All those who claimed a PB yesterday would have got an even greater PB on the usual course. How does the steady grind for the first 4K compare with the flatness (and width!!) of North Road, Cowbridge Road and Cathedral Road? Does anyone think they might have run faster if that climb at 8K was not there? P.B's were run because those athletes trained hard over the summer (or got their mind-sets right for once - no names mentioned!) and took advantage of good weather conditions, not due to the course. I guarantee that given similar conditions at Swansea, and if they don't get stuck in a traffic jam, that most runners will run faster at Swansea this year than at Cardiff. And as for those that got a PB - they can shave some more seconds off!
On the front of the application form for this years race, it said at the bottom - 'Rated Fastest Course in the UK 2011'. No one would rate this one as such; 'fair and slightly challenging' compared to 'flat and fast' I would say.
See you all at Swansea!!
 5 users liked this post.
Nick Tulp on 08/09/2014(UTC), ed on 08/09/2014(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 08/09/2014(UTC), matt hurford on 08/09/2014(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 08/09/2014(UTC)
Alun Davies
#42 Posted : 08 September 2014 15:51:18(UTC)

Groups: Guests

To be fair to Mick he actually favoured the course before the run as he stated previously on this thread.
Mick McGeoch Offline
#43 Posted : 08 September 2014 20:59:02(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Richie - Woody didn't call you the Devil's Advocate for nothing did he?
After all the positive post-race comments I knew somebody would say something controversial.
And as for your claim that most runners will run quicker at Swansea - I beg to differ.
Yes the conditions have to be similar for us to get a fair comparison, but the problem with Swansea is simply that a wide fast first kilometre I'm afraid tempts people into overcommitting, and it takes a very determined and analytical runner to get to the first kilometre, look at the watch and decide to slow down.
I'm sorry you found the first 4 km a grind, perhaps you're either not training hard enough or you should take up yoga.
Or perhaps the real reason behind your post is what I've just discovered on Power of 10 (or the dates that are available) that 36.44 was actually a PW! Well I think that post people on this Forum cannot fail to agree with me that it's not a bad PW to have!
For the benefit of people on here who are not familiar with the rivalry between Richie and myself - as I am 5 years older, I quote my results to Richie from 5 years ago and challenge him to better them! And my result for Cardiff 2009 was - yes 36:44!
So what challenge can I offer Richie for Swansea?
None - I didn't run Swansea in 2009, I did Berlin in 2:53 - which is what he should be doing!
 1 user liked this post.
Richie Bullen on 09/09/2014(UTC)
Evatt
#44 Posted : 09 September 2014 08:24:40(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I, like everyone else who reads this Forum, spotted straight away the mistake in that last post.

Mick - you forgot the 1 in front of the 5 on how many years older than Richie you are !!!!!!!

Come on mate. Concentrate.
Marcus Meyrick Offline
#45 Posted : 09 September 2014 18:03:09(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Has liked: 602 post(s)
Something slightly odd with my times on the results page for the 10k.

I appear twice on the list in position 217 (not my times) and position 242 (which is correct). Sundays time is my new pb.

242 Marcus Meyrick V40 M 42:14

Cheers
Marcus.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#46 Posted : 09 September 2014 18:30:22(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Something I have spotted is Nick Tulp is above me in the Echo and on the results page although we have the same time.

The way I see it they will both be thrown out and forgotten about. I'm above Nick on the rankings page where it counts! That will do nicely for me thank-you very much. I just hope he's not running Swansea!

Its not that I'm competitive or anything.BigGrin

Edited by user 09 September 2014 18:56:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

alan mann Offline
#47 Posted : 09 September 2014 20:45:33(UTC)
alan mann

Has liked: 37 post(s)
mike murphy's name is down twice for the Cardiff 10 k
Mick McGeoch Offline
#48 Posted : 09 September 2014 20:47:03(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Lyndon if I were you I'd sit on Richie Bullen all the way round Swansea Bay - and then outsprint him.
That way, even if he runs another PW (because Swansea is a slower course), you might still run another PB!
 1 user liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 09/09/2014(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#49 Posted : 09 September 2014 23:20:08(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mick McGeoch Go to Quoted Post
Lyndon if I were you I'd sit on Richie Bullen all the way round Swansea Bay - and then outsprint him.
That way, even if he runs another PW (because Swansea is a slower course), you might still run another PB!

I would do but I was told there are no places left. Crying

I might have a crack at the Park run on Saturday instead. The race time predictor says I can hit 17.44 but it always seems to work the other way. My training is aimed at the Half Marathon distance and it seems the further I run the better I do. I under achieve at 5km but trying seems to be helping my longer runs. I'm don't think I'm really a 5km runner and don't anticipate a lifetime PB for at least a couple of months yet.

I'm starting to feel confident of a PB at the Cardiff Half now as I feel it will be possibly the fittest and certainly the best prepared I have been going into a Half! As long as I can stay fit and healthy up to the start. If I execute a decent race strategy and aim for another negative split I cant see why not.

Since I have started tweaking my training, doing regular speed work and slowing my other runs things seem to be really picking up! Probably the most notable thing is I have been much more consistent mainly due to my immune system not constantly collapsing on me!

I have been in limbo the last couple of years mainly because of poor training and health problems.I am really hopeful for the future and I'm convinced I can go a lot faster. I'm not sure exactly how much though.

Well done on your run Sunday Mick. A big improvement on last year.

Perhaps your right and it is an easier course. It would have been nice to have tried Swansea to compare but knowing my luck it would be blowing a gale.

I think there are several elements that make up a good race and when you put them all together thats when PB's are made. The thing is you don't always need every ingredient sometimes one or two are enough.