Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Marcus Coles Offline
#1 Posted : 13 September 2014 23:37:37(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 10 post(s)
Hi,

I have had my Garmin Forerunner 205 for 7 years and it has just recently packed up. It has been a great watch, no problems with it whatsoever until it stopped working. I am looking to buy a new one now and have been doing some research. The two which I have singled out is the Garmin Forerunner 610 and the Polar RC3. The Garmin seems to have very accurate GPS and a lot of in-depth data concerning runs that you do, but I have heard that the charger unit is not great on some of these watches. The Polar seems to be good all round albeit some fewer data features than the Garmin. Does anybody have any suggestions on these watches or any other watches for recommendation. Thanks.
jamesthebruce Offline
#2 Posted : 14 September 2014 08:50:30(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Hi Marcus.

it was a sad day for me too recently. my garmin 305 has also given up i'm using the 220 garmin.

i will let you know how i get on with in the next few weeks,
Evatt
#3 Posted : 14 September 2014 10:48:40(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Marcus - I have the 610 and it is a fantastic solid bit of kit. Don't know what you've heard regarding the charger but it just clips onto the back of the watch and in my experience isn't a problem. Can also be worn as an everyday watch (although a little on the heavy side) and at the current prices is well worth purchasing. If you'd like to borrow mine for the club run on Thursday you are more than welcome.
Marcus Coles Offline
#4 Posted : 14 September 2014 18:36:56(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Thanks Evatt for the offer there. Lyndon is bringing his 610 down and has offered me a really good price which is too good to let down and as you said, I have seen some very good reviews about it, which along with the Polar RC3 are the ones I have highlighted as potential buys. Also I will be very interested how you get along with the 220 James.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#5 Posted : 14 September 2014 21:39:35(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
I have dug out my old 610 and cleaned it up. It looks mint but there are signs of corrosion on the back.That can be put right with a coat of strong nail varnish every couple of months.

There was a tiny fleck of glass that came out where the Garmin symbol is this was glued back in and you can hardly tell.

The strap is knackered but I bought a replacement strap which I'm still trying to locate. I will leave you to fit it if you take the watch.It comes with a tool to fit it.

It seems to take slightly longer than my current Garmin to locate a satellite but this could simply be because its using older software.

I am yet to find the ANT stick. I will throw in a Garmin heart rate monitor although it is an old one I found and never used most probably off the previous model.

All in all an absolute bargain for the price discussed but I have had a couple of good years use out of it. Consider it mates rates! BigGrin

1 user liked this post.
Marcus Coles on 15/09/2014(UTC)
Marcus Coles Offline
#6 Posted : 15 September 2014 22:28:51(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Thanks Lyndon, I agree it is a fantastic offer you have given me. Looking forward to seeing the watch, I will be down the club Thursday or you can catch me on Sunday for the long run if you are around.
#7 Posted : 17 September 2014 07:07:38(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

I have the watch and the charger and everything but I cannot find the new strap! Its really annoying because I had it a few days ago. I will keep looking for it but I cant sell it for less than what I said.

The straps are £10 each on line but its silly getting another one when I should have one!

It sounds a bit daft but if you want to test it I can bring a cable tie and you can attach it to your wrist that way through the strap. Hopefully it will turn up.

I'm planning to be at the club Thursday anyway so will see you there. Crying
Evatt
#8 Posted : 17 September 2014 08:18:14(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I've got a spare strap for this model. I'll bring it on Thursday.
#9 Posted : 17 September 2014 10:44:41(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Originally Posted by: Evatt Cummings Go to Quoted Post
I've got a spare strap for this model. I'll bring it on Thursday.

Thanks thats great Evatt!

I will keep looking for the one I bought and I will bring a tie so Marcus can test it on the club run. I used it in a couple of races like that before my ex bought me another one.
 1 user liked this post.
Marcus Coles on 24/09/2014(UTC)
#10 Posted : 17 September 2014 11:03:12(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Marcus

I charged it up to 95% last night and tested it this morning and its still on 95%!

It always seemed ok but I thought I would test it.Although its at least two years old there is no reason you couldn't get another 2 years out of it once its had a new strap.

My new one is a fair bit newer but its already starting to corrode on the back. It has had a shard of glass come away in the same place but it hasn't been glued back in.

They are great to use but some of the parts particularly the back and the strap don't stand the test of time that well. They can be fixed or replaced though.

I think a feature you will like if you didn't have it on your previous watch is the lap pace feature. Its great to know that your on track to hit your mile time for the mile your in. Not 100% accurate but a great training aid!

Its also great that it vibrates on each lap to keep you on your toes. Smile
 1 user liked this post.
Marcus Coles Offline
#11 Posted : 19 September 2014 22:33:43(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Thanks Evatt for the new strap, it was a very generous of you to give me the strap for free and I am very grateful for that as the watch looks like new. Also thanks Lyndon for the great offer that I just could not refuse for the watch and the extra heart rate monitor strap. I am very happy with it, when I was looking at the watch late last night, I was able to get a signal from inside my house which is fantastic, something my old watch could not do which gives me confidence that it will pick up signals very quickly outside. I am looking forward to testing it out tomorrow and Sunday for the long run.
 1 user liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 20/09/2014(UTC)
amanda thompson Offline
#12 Posted : 20 September 2014 12:58:50(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
I love a story with a happy ending! ThumpUp
I hope this proves to be a lucky watch for you Marcus, run some PBs with it.
 1 user liked this post.
Marcus Coles Offline
#13 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:57:41(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Thanks Amanda, I will certainly try to run some pb's in it and after the Cardiff 10k where I did a new 10k pb in 7 years, I think there is a very good chance of this happening. I will be keeping close tabs as I am going round the Cardiff Half to try my first pb out of this watch :).
#14 Posted : 25 September 2014 10:55:47(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Originally Posted by: Marcus Coles Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Amanda, I will certainly try to run some pb's in it and after the Cardiff 10k where I did a new 10k pb in 7 years, I think there is a very good chance of this happening. I will be keeping close tabs as I am going round the Cardiff Half to try my first pb out of this watch :).

Good luck Marcus I'm sure you can do it!

I really want a PB but in order to do that I have to run it dam near perfect!

Anything over 80 minutes will be really disappointing but as long as I give it my best shot I'm not going to be to hard on myself.

If it does not work out I will build off of the experience and give it a really good go at Wokingham!!
Mellow