Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Michelle Amblin Offline
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:23:59(UTC)
Michelle Amblin

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 30 post(s)
Has anyone tried running in water as an alternative to the norm, for instance when injured? How did you find it? I've just bought a flotation belt and want to give it a go to keep on top of my training without futher injuring myself. I'm not really sure how to do it and concerned i'll just get really bored on my own. So if anyone fancies joining me for a run in the pool to give me a demonstration or just go for a run please give me a shout. Confused
Phill Thomas Offline
#2 Posted : 22 January 2015 08:55:06(UTC)
Phill Thomas

Has liked: 27 post(s)
Hi Michell,
I had not thought about aqua-running as a way of simulating running whilst injured.It might be a good solution for me also. Maybe I should try it. There are a few videos on youtube that show you how. Its not complicated. If you want company whilst looking daft trying it out I
could join you. I will try it anyway.
Michelle Amblin Offline
#3 Posted : 22 January 2015 16:13:55(UTC)
Michelle Amblin

Hi Phil, thats great! I've been given the go ahead to carry on running (on land) as long as I don't over do it! However, i'm heading for the pool to try out this running in water melarky on Monday morning at Llanishen at 9.30am. Your more than welcome to join me, as is anyone else. :-)
Phill Thomas Offline
#4 Posted : 23 January 2015 14:40:16(UTC)
Phill Thomas

Has liked: 27 post(s)
Llanishen at 9.30. I'll see you there.BigGrin
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#5 Posted : 23 January 2015 18:04:08(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Has liked: 716 post(s)
Hi Michelle,

Yes, I've done this regularly every Thursday pm in the international pool down the bay, for a few years now.

It's great for injury rehab (Achilles tendon etc.) & it's also extra training on top of what you are already running but without weight bearing. I was told by a qualified triathlete coach that if you cannot run due to injury but maintain aqua running then you only lose about 10% of fitness. I also think it's helped me with x-country.

It's usually done with a floatation belt, run hard for 45s & rest 15s, & repeat 10 times to start. There are probably many variations on this if you do the research. Personally, I've incorporated hand sculling into it as well, & learned to do without the floatation belt, (you work harder!) I've extended this up to 45min a session.

You need sufficient depth of pool, so as not to touch the bottom. The international pool is best (but cold!) The western leisure centre may be OK too if you are not too tall & wear a belt.

Mo Farah does a similar thing using an underwater treadmill. See the winter copy of ACE for links to video etc. But this not available locally. (Perhaps the club should get one?? RollEyes)

The only other downside is it's mind bendingly boring. So I bought a waterproof mp3 player. The Speedo one is best.

Hope this helps. Come & ask me at the club if you need more info. Smile
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Peter Kellam
#6 Posted : 23 January 2015 18:58:24(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Having a pool with a deep end is pretty critical, as is the ability to shrug off embarrassment as you look an absolute divot doing it. At Llanishen you'll have the pleasure of the wave machine though you could call that cross country I suppose. I used to travel a lot overseas to hot places and kept one in the suitcase for days when running on streets or treadmill wasn't an option. The only way to get through is to work hard and break it into efforts or alternate running with swimming. Cadence is a good thing to concentrate on, making sure you're keeping a leg turnover similar to running - 85 strides per minute and above.
Stephen Hitchen Offline
#7 Posted : 23 January 2015 22:57:35(UTC)
Stephen Hitchen

Has liked: 175 post(s)
An observation: Mind bendingly boring = excellent mental toughness training.
 1 user liked this post.
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 24/01/2015(UTC)
Michelle Amblin Offline
#8 Posted : 24 January 2015 08:40:14(UTC)
Michelle Amblin

Phill Thomas, I'm really sorry I have to cancel Monday. I have an appointment to go to at 10 so wont make it to Llanishen on Monday. I'm going to try Tuesday instead if thats any good to you.

Howard Kent & Peter Kellem, thanks for your advice its really much appreciated. :-)
 1 user liked this post.
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 24/01/2015(UTC)