Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Phil Cook Offline
#1 Posted : 17 April 2015 20:46:07(UTC)
Phil Cook

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 14 post(s)
Following some recent criticism posted on the forum and as an on-going review of the Club structure which I have been trying to put in place over the winter months, it has been decided to take a slightly bolder step forward!!

After discussions with a core group and subsequent approval from John Griffin and Jeff Aston, we will be setting up a 'racing/training squad' within the Club for which members would be invited to join - this group would make up the 'squad' that would then be used to select teams for high standard races such as National Road Relays and Championship events (not including Masters events), rather than a general request for who's available. If we can't raise a team from within the 'racing/training squad' then we won’t send a team, that way we will maintain a higher standard of representation at prestige events like the 6 and 12 Stage Road Relays and other National Championships.

The invite to join the 'racing/training squad' is going out to both male and female members who meet the trial criteria; it was felt that as a starting point an initial cut off time would be applied - under 18 mins for 5K for men and under 23 mins for ladies, these would be based on results from 2014 and so far in 2015 - this will inevitably see movement in and out of the 'team' depending on performance/fitness.

It is hoped that those invited would train together as much as possible, in order to try and raise the depth and standard of those available for Team and Relay events. Obviously this isn't mandatory for selection, but it is hoped that members will be encouraged to train with the group in the view to improve and then gain selection into teams. A lot is made in athletics circles that part of the demise in the standard of British distance running is the fact that athletes no longer train together in groups or race each other regularly, while in contrast the Kenyan and Ethiopian runners train together in groups and even go to the extreme of living together. While I’m not suggesting we go down the living together route, I believe it would be a huge benefit if we can get good training groups training together regularly. I am aware that people's home lives may mean this is restricted for some; but I do believe that even some sessions in this type of environment would be beneficial to both the individual and the Club.

Primarily the focus would be on Road Races in the initial stages, and a selection of races will be picked that the 'team/squad' would then target - these events would include all Welsh Road Race Championships, Relays and any other additional events felt appropriate – these would include events across the border that are easily accessible. Details of such races will be shared with everyone within the Club and we would like to see the Club fully represented at such events.

For clarity, events like the Welsh Road Relays and Cosmeston Relays etc. would still maintain the inclusive invite to the Club as has been the case previously.

I would just like to point out that the aim here is not to move away from the existing Club training sessions but to try and enhance them and get the groups to make full use of them.
 20 users liked this post.
amanda thompson on 17/04/2015(UTC), Oli Williams on 17/04/2015(UTC), Mel James on 17/04/2015(UTC), Stuart Crees on 17/04/2015(UTC), Marcus Meyrick on 17/04/2015(UTC), Brett Jones on 17/04/2015(UTC), Davey Proud on 17/04/2015(UTC), David John Williams on 18/04/2015(UTC), jeffrey cox on 18/04/2015(UTC), Claire Bruce on 18/04/2015(UTC), Hazel Craven on 18/04/2015(UTC), Al Jones on 18/04/2015(UTC), Jerome Edwards on 18/04/2015(UTC), Stephen Hitchen on 18/04/2015(UTC), Tom Jeffery on 18/04/2015(UTC), Mick McGeoch on 18/04/2015(UTC), Eirian Arwyn on 18/04/2015(UTC), Mick Tabor on 19/04/2015(UTC), Carol Rees on 19/04/2015(UTC), mike rossiter on 20/04/2015(UTC)