Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Samantha Haines
#1 Posted : 15 October 2013 06:48:50(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi,

I'm giving the Gwent League a go for the first time on Saturday and thought I'd sorted the right shoes (I bought trail shoes). Chatting to people last night at hill runs though it seems that these probably aren't the best to be running in as apparently they will just get clogged with mud. Fell shoes were mentioned as an alternative. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should be buying please. I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive as I've not done cross country since school so not really sure what to expect or whether I'll like it. There were a couple of brands mentioned last night but I can't remember them...sorry.

Thank you

Sam
Claire Bruce Offline
#2 Posted : 15 October 2013 07:33:40(UTC)
Claire Bruce

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 522 post(s)
Sam, choosing shoes for cross country is a topic that is raised again and again so don't feel like you are alone in this! Personally I wear spikes as that is what I have always worn. Others runners do opt for trail shoes or fell shoes as they are more like your training shoes and you can then wear them in other off road races. The terrain under foot is another variable that can influence foot wear. I change the length of my spikes depending on the conditions. If it is really muddy i find spikes give better grip but I am sure you will be fine with trail shoes, and sometimes it doesn't matter what you wear as the mud it just too much (like Builth Wells last year where i finished with a face full of mud -some people spend good money for mud baths!)But at the end of the day it is personal choice. Just come along, do the run and enjoy the cakes!
 1 user liked this post.
jamesthebruce on 16/10/2013(UTC)
Karen Chadwell Offline
#3 Posted : 18 October 2013 22:27:19(UTC)
Karen Chadwell

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 303 post(s)
Sam, not sure what size feet you have but if you have boats like me then I've got a pair of size 7 spikes that I won't be wearing for the ladies race. There's a chance my son may wear them earlier on tho, so they might be unappealingly wet & muddy. But they'll get wet & muddy as soon as you put them on...
Samantha Haines
#4 Posted : 18 October 2013 22:47:13(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Ooh thanks Karen. I'm a 7 too so that may work. I'll bring my trail shoes as well but I might borrow your spikes if that's ok. All a bit clueless at the moment :)