Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GD44
#1 Posted : 14 January 2016 20:24:54(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi all

This race is part of the WFRA South Wales Winter Fell Running Series. For those that would like to give fell running a try, this is the perfect race for you.

Details: 6km, 300m ascent (approx)
Course: http://connect.garmin.com/course/5483239
The route will be partially marked with marshalls at key points.
Entry on the day: £5
Registration, car parking and prize giving: Mountain View Ranch (Castell Heights Golf), Heol Penybryn, Caerphilly, CF83 1NG

The access to the Mountain View Ranch is approx. 200m south of the Black Cock Pub. The owners have kindly let us use their car park for free so please make a purchase at their Canteen and Coffee Shop which serves homemade Welsh beef burgers, Ranch Chilli Dogs, Nachos, Baked Potatoes and a selection of hot drinks and homemade cakes! Saturday opening times are 1200 - 1530. Big play area for the kids too!

The roads in the immediate vicinity are narrow so I discourage parking on these.

Please note that the race start is just under 1km away so allow plenty of time for registration and walking to the start line. Registration will cease at 1345 and no late-comers will be allowed to race. I suggest you register from 1245-1330.

Insurance and Safety
The race is insured by the WFRA and therefore competitors are subject to the WFRA safety requirements for fell races and rules for competition. Competitors should arrive at races prepared to wear/carry all of the following equipment:

• Adequate whole body cover, (e.g. windproof or waterproof top and legging to give protection against the effects of wind chill, hat and gloves) to protect you against hypothermia or heat exhaustion/ dehydration in the severest conditions likely on the day. The Race Organiser (RO) will specify minimum clothing requirements for their event, but you are responsible for carrying much additional clothing as necessary for your own protection. You should always bring additional protective equipment to the race registration in order to be able to comply with more stringent requirements that may be demanded by the RO on the day due to adverse conditions. The greatest need for clothing is not for running but when you are forced to stop or slow, and wait what can be a very long time for rescue.

• Map of the race route and compass, both suitable for navigating the course.

• Whistle.

• Emergency food and/ or fluids as needed for the conditions.

• Any additional items specific to your needs.

Please note that the race was subject to severe climatic conditions two years ago with sleet and horizontal freezing wind. Competitors must bring suitable clothing for such conditions. I suggest that you bring a bum bag which can carry: hat, gloves, windproof top and bottoms (full length) and whistle. If it’s raining or if there is a risk of raining I will be specifying that you must wear/carry waterproof tops and bottoms. Bring them. If I don’t see a bum bag, it’s a little obvious that you’re not carrying kit. Wear suitable off road shoes too.
Please note that I've turned a few competitors away last previously for not having the necessary safety equipment.

Regards

Gary - Race Organiser (RO)

Edited by user 14 January 2016 20:33:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ali Whittaker Offline
#2 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:45:27(UTC)
Ali Whittaker

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 128 post(s)
If you need help marshalling Gary - I am up for it. When/ where should I arrive?
Ali
GD44
#3 Posted : 16 January 2016 23:43:23(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ali Whittaker Go to Quoted Post
If you need help marshalling Gary - I am up for it. When/ where should I arrive?
Ali

Hi Ali

Could you meet me in the Mountain View Ranch at 1pm?

Thanks

Gary
roy silver
#4 Posted : 20 January 2016 08:16:15(UTC)

Looking forward to a short and crisp sprint up and over one of our local hills. Weather forecast looks good for this Saturday 23rd.
GD44
#5 Posted : 23 January 2016 08:13:09(UTC)

Weather forecast looks great for today's event.

There will be a minor route change a few minutes into the race to avoid congestion on a very narrow section. No need to worry as it will be signposted. For those that know the course, I will send you up the first section of the zig zags on the first ascent of CyA. You will not be turning immediately right after the gate. This also means that the previous course records will be scrapped.

Hope to see you later.
roy silver
#6 Posted : 23 January 2016 19:02:22(UTC)

Great little race, great weather ,120+ runners, thank you Gary.