Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

PhilG
#1 Posted : 08 November 2013 09:36:30(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good gym in Cardiff.
Been looking around and there's now lots of choice ; vitality, pure gym, easy gym etc.
Can anyone tell me what's hot and what's not ?:-)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#2 Posted : 08 November 2013 11:14:08(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 716 post(s)
I use 'Expressions' in the International Swimming Pool down the bay. It's £35 per month, which is not cheap if you just want a gym, but you do get full access to the pool & health suite (to which I'm addicted). I believe there are cheaper gyms out there if that's all you want.Smile
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
tim o'sullivan Offline
#3 Posted : 08 November 2013 19:24:38(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
As ever, I guess its all about what you want (aims/requirements/circumstances). My favourite gym is the B.Beacons (lifetime membership currently free). The roof leaks badly at times though and the treadmills are well dodgy...

I was a member of the Village for the best part of a decade because of the (goodish) swimming pool, very friendly running club (this is how I started running..) and (initialy at least) relatively well equipped gym. But I left, rejoined, left, rejoined and recently left again due to the high cost (£55pm?) and poor state of some of the facilities (old and poorly maintained - a bit like me really..). Hope they get it sorted one day - other Village Gyms around the UK in much better condition. But I do miss the pool. And the Village Vipers RC are a fine bunch..

So I joined EasyGym at the start of 2013 and am a big fan. A bargain (£16 pm), next to my work, lots of shiny Concept 2 rowing machines (my favourite toy), an excellent weights section (empty and roid-head free in the morning), open very long hours and free parking in the Capital Shopping Centre (for those rare days when I actually get to drive the car..)

My youngest (who goes there lots + friends) loves it. And the staff are a very cheery bunch. Its a bit of a bear pit some nights of the week, especially Friday when the base-heavy D&B, techno/dance, Disclosure 'music' (?) kicks-in and drives me a little Victor Meldew-ish. I'm ~30 years older than the average member so asking them to 'turn it down' might look bad.
Luckily I'm partially deaf..Huh

And there's always the B.Beacons the morning after..

Edited by user 08 November 2013 19:30:56(UTC)  | Reason: can't spell, can't write, can't run...

Tracey Newman Offline
#4 Posted : 08 November 2013 20:46:36(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
I go to Llanishen Leisure Centre you can get a stretch card or pay as you go. The council has spent money on the gym but the rest with the centre could do with a face lift but the council say there is no money. The circuits classes are good thought and a few of us go on Friday. It really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend on membership. Bear in mind that gyms requires potential memembers to undergo an assessment, but you can got to classes at the council centres without an assessment.
Liz Kirwan
#5 Posted : 09 November 2013 07:16:07(UTC)

I agree with Tracey. The council gyms have been invested in considerably and the classes are excellent too. But, it does depend what you're looking for.

I have been a bit of a gym tart over the years, and have pretty much been a member of them all in Cardiff!

The ones I'd avoid like the plague are:

DW Fitness in Leckwith (dilapidated machines and rubbish classes)
David Lloyd (£80+ a month...say no more!)
Virgin Active (used to be Esporta) on Ocean Way

Richard Self Offline
#6 Posted : 09 November 2013 10:46:56(UTC)
Richard Self

Has liked: 37 post(s)
I think this is what Phil is thinking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCovxGt2cmo
tim o'sullivan Offline
#7 Posted : 09 November 2013 12:36:05(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Barry??
PhilG
#8 Posted : 09 November 2013 18:00:28(UTC)

Richard, yes that's the place I've been looking for :-)

Tim, was interested in the Easy gym so I might give them a look.

Tracey/Liz , i was also interested in the stretch card to use the leisure centers.
But I'm having difficulty making my mind up and so at the moment don't do anything.

cheers all.
Howard Owen Offline
#9 Posted : 14 November 2013 22:26:45(UTC)
Howard Owen

Has liked: 17 post(s)
I can vouch for easygym, where I am currently - very good equipment. I left puregym because I couldn't get on with the cardio machines - rubbish they were, but the 24/7 opening is a plus. Stretch card for council gyms is good as it includes use of pools, squash courts etc and classes (circuits, spinning etc).
Marcus Coles Offline
#10 Posted : 17 November 2013 19:31:29(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Has liked: 10 post(s)
I am with Bannatynes in Llanishen, its £45 per month but I find it a very good gym with some good classes. I used to be with Virgin Active on Ocean Way, another very good gym but they have now closed down since the end of August. I have joined a number of gyms over the last few years but Bannatynes is probably one of the best that I can suggest.
mgent
#11 Posted : 02 December 2013 15:47:23(UTC)

I can recommend DW Leckwith gym. There is an offer of £20 for full membership until 31 Jan 2014. Friendly gym . Nice staff.
saramac
#12 Posted : 04 December 2013 10:03:37(UTC)

Most gyms have a christmas deal. Village has a 12 days for 12 pounds so you can try it to feel. They have currently updated the changing rooms. Ask about deals as they do corporate and public services and partner discounts.