Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#1 Posted : 06 December 2016 17:50:55(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Some running mad person in America has somehow ran loads of Cross Country Courses and created a calculator so you can corelate times with different courses to give an estimated time!

I have got no idea how accurate this is but it seems highly regarded!

It would be a bit of fun if nothing else if we had a database of say all of the UK Half Marathons and you could compare your times on one course to another!

If you got stuffed on the rankings by somebody who ran say Torfaen im sure this would be a strong point of interest!

Im sure many on here would use a database like this if it exsisted! You could actualy make money on advertising perhaps too as im sure you would get plenty of visitors if you posted it around the web!

It could also be interesting to look at what times you could have got on different courses and it may inspire you to try different ones the following year. It could be better than race time predictor if tailored to the lumps and bumps of a specific course to help you judge your pace also.

Why not go the whole hog and factor in the weather conditions too! It does make you wonder what tools the runner of the future will have at their disposal!

Just a thought. Smile

http://www.rettner.net/p...nce/courseconverter.html

I just noticed you can allow for hot weather too! Could be very hit and miss though.

Edited by user 06 December 2016 17:54:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#2 Posted : 08 December 2016 15:20:48(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Just chating with somebody on another forum about this and it gave me an idea. Im sure there would be one or two problems to overcome but I wonder if this is possible?

Originally Posted by Gary5k View Post
Its quite interesting, though tbh i just look up previous years results & find similar runners to me and see what time they do via some po10 stalking. That usually gives me an idea what the course is like. And is more accurate than some points system magic.

Good idea!

It makes me wonder if you could input all of that data into a computer and create an algorithm to calculate your aproximate time based on all of the data on the Power Of 10?

It could be suprisingly accurate if possible! I think it could even be the most accurate race time predictor ever as its based on a number of human beings therefore it would give you an average of all of the pro's and con's of human beings plus conditions to give you a very close approximation!

You just need a huge database of times and courses and you could then use every runner within say 10 seconds of your given time and distance within say 2 weeks of running the course. (optimal
times, time frames and previous courses could be looked at and developed)The computer could then calculate an average. You could adjust the parameters if your search was lacking in numbers of hits. You could develop an optimal accuracy through trial and error?

Possible? Surely!

Ed could do this easily! ThumpUp Thats something for him to look at when he get the time to fit it in!

Well I thought it was an interesting idea anyway. If it would work in practice or not is another question entirely! Smile

Edited by user 08 December 2016 15:53:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified