Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Mick McGeoch Offline
#1 Posted : 06 May 2017 15:30:30(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
This is not an inclusive post. It's a post about speed and how to find races on the track.
Yesterday we organised a One Mile Race for everyone by way of celebration of the 63rd anniversary of the first sub 4 minute mile. Even though Roger Bannister is now a very old man, his performance stands up remarkably well under scrutiny and the performances of the athletes of today to match it.
Over the years I've been running the sport has changed greatly, sometimes for the better, but not always. Thirty years ago you could race on the track on a weekday evening in South Wales and sometimes at weekends as well. Not any more. Other than Welsh Masters, theoretically for over 35s, there are few opportunities locally. However - there is a club - www.britishmilersclub.com which exists specifically for this purpose. And the standard is high! I first ran in a British Milers Club fixture in 1997 in Whitchurch, Bristol. It was an end of season fixture and my last track race (of 17) of that summer. I ran 4:34 for One Mile - aged 42. By British Milers Club standards, that is mediocre. I was never fast enough to be a track runner, and in the Welsh League, whilst running for Barry and Vale, I only ran the 5000 metres because I was too old and too slow to race shorter events.
I joined British Milers Club in 2001 and first ran in a fixture in 2004. The fixture was at Millfield School in Street, Somerset. From memory there were 11 800 metre races, 9 1500 metre races and 4 3000 metre races. I ran in the third (quickest) of the four 3000 metres. You have to enter in advance (now on line only) and you are seeded according to ability. It was 2 weeks after London 2004 where I ran 2:41 aged 48. Of the 17 athletes in my race - the second oldest was 19. It is incredibly intimidating to step out onto the track against talented kids. I ran lap 1 in 78 and was last. Lap 2 in 78 and was still last. Lap 3 in 78 and still last. I ran 9:44 and came 10th out of 17. All you can do in a situation like that is hold your nerve and wait for them to come back. Those that didn't come back included Emily Pidgeon and Non Stanford, who both finished just outside the European record for a 15 year old in 9:23 and 9:26 respectively. I always regard it as an honour to race against stars of tomorrow.
If you're still interested have a look at their website and fixture list for the summer. If just one member actually does something about this post then I will regard it as a success. But if you don't try, you never find out!
 7 users liked this post.
David J Williams on 06/05/2017(UTC), Tracey Newman on 06/05/2017(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 06/05/2017(UTC), Ali Whittaker on 07/05/2017(UTC), Rob Evans on 07/05/2017(UTC), Emyr Morgan on 07/05/2017(UTC), Michael Cranwell on 09/05/2017(UTC)
Claire Bruce Offline
#2 Posted : 06 May 2017 20:10:52(UTC)
Claire Bruce

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 522 post(s)
I have done the same fixture Mick in 2015 and it was amazing to see the talent on show. If the dates had worked I would have done it again this year but alas it was not to be. I may be tempted to do it next year if I can.
 1 user liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 07/05/2017(UTC)