Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jenny Martin Offline
#1 Posted : 16 October 2017 16:31:09(UTC)
Jenny Martin

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 150 post(s)
Hi all,

Myself and Mike Davies are taking part in a 1 mile race at the indoor track at NIAC on the afternoon of 28th October. The race is organised by a chap called Ian Williams, who founded and runs an excellent running website called Fetcheveryone.com. Ian has been contacting local running clubs to try to spread the word about the race - please see message from Ian below (I've checked with Phil that it's okay to share this here). It sounds like it could be a fun event, and it would be great to see some more Croups there!

Jenny

Hi there,

I’m getting in touch with a few local running clubs to let you know about the Big Fetch Mile at the National Indoor Athletics Centre in Cardiff on October 28th – it’s a free event, giving runners the opportunity to run a timed mile on the 200m indoor track, and to meet up with other runners from our website, Fetcheveryone.com.

In case you haven’t heard of it, Fetcheveryone is a free website for runners. It offers a highly-detailed training log, with no locked-away features hidden behind a paywall – and a wonderfully supportive community of runners of all standards. Established in 2004, it’s run by me – a boy from the Rhymney Valley (yes, I’m playing the ‘Wales’ card) who once placed second-to-last in the Lewis Boys Comprehensive School Year 7 100m time trial, with an inauspicious 19.92 seconds. Since taking up running as an adult, I’ve clocked up over 10,000 miles – and my passion for running has brought nearly 90,000 registered users to our website.

Training and fitness apps are big business these days – with multi-million pound investment from companies like Strava. But despite having a workforce of precisely one person, Fetcheveryone still plays host to 3.5 million miles of training data every year, and I take great pride in supporting a wonderful community.

I’d be delighted if you’d share this information with your runners – if they’d like to come along and run our mile, they just need to register on our website, and visit https://www.fetcheveryone.com/bigfetchmile for more information on how to sign up. We ask each runner to predict their finishing time, and group them accordingly to ensure exciting races. Just to reiterate, it’s completely free to join us – but if you bring along some cake, you’ll be made exceptionally welcome!

Best wishes,
Ian

Edited by user 16 October 2017 16:32:51(UTC)  | Reason: broken link

4 users liked this post.
Michael Cranwell on 17/10/2017(UTC), Michael H Davies on 18/10/2017(UTC), gwen thomas on 19/10/2017(UTC), Karen Chadwell on 25/10/2017(UTC)
Steve Preddy Offline
#2 Posted : 16 October 2017 20:28:35(UTC)
Steve Preddy

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 27 post(s)
I'll join you
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 18/10/2017(UTC)
Kelly Croft Offline
#3 Posted : 17 October 2017 17:13:37(UTC)
Kelly Croft

Has liked: 5 post(s)
I've entered my details. Be my first time on an indoor track. Presuming road shoes would be fine?
 1 user liked this post.
Jenny Martin Offline
#4 Posted : 17 October 2017 18:14:32(UTC)
Jenny Martin

Has liked: 150 post(s)
Kelly, I think road shoes should be fine - that’s what I was planning to run in. I’ve never run on an indoor track before either.
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies Offline
#5 Posted : 18 October 2017 11:13:32(UTC)
Michael H Davies

Has liked: 773 post(s)
Thanks for the post Jenny.

Race on.

At my Autumn Altitude Training Camp at the moment..... soft sand. Cross training in the sea.
Claire Bruce Offline
#6 Posted : 18 October 2017 20:57:56(UTC)
Claire Bruce

Has liked: 522 post(s)
Think I have entered!
Claire Bruce Offline
#7 Posted : 18 October 2017 21:36:49(UTC)
Claire Bruce

Has liked: 522 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelly Croft Go to Quoted Post
I've entered my details. Be my first time on an indoor track. Presuming road shoes would be fine?

Road shoes will be fine. When you run indoors the main issues are the banking (ie tilt) of the track and the air conditioning which can make the air very dry so can affect breathing.