Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Maldwyn
#1 Posted : 14 January 2014 17:23:07(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I was surprised to find an athletics coach advocating fasting, but Frank Horwill, who coached Tim Hutchins and influenced Peter and Seb Coe, does.

He stresses the importance of weight relative to height for distance runners using the Stillman height/weight ratio table (less 10%). A 6 foot male runner should weigh around 160 lbs and 5 foot 6 female around 117 lbs.

If you are heavier, then fasting may help you lose weight quickly, and become faster. Full advice - http://www.serpentine.or...ages/advice_frank01.html

" But if you feel that you are grossly overweight for running, fasting can bring about spectacular results. A 24 hour fast usually results in the loss of two pounds. A 5 day fast can result in a 10 pound reduction. No training should be done while fasting and pure orange juice should be drunk every three hours, as well as plenty of water. Some take a multi-vitamin tablet during a fast. "

I recently wondered why my Parkrun times were getting worse each time I ran. I considered going for blood tests and started to worry. I then weighed, and found I'd put on a stone in weight - mystery solved.

My favourite quack Joel Furman (who's actually a doctor of medicine, with a succesful practise), is also a strong advocate of fasting.

Phil Hexter

Edited by user 14 January 2014 19:54:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#2 Posted : 14 January 2014 17:30:11(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 716 post(s)
Looks like you're reading the same thing I am! Smile
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
amanda thompson Offline
#3 Posted : 14 January 2014 20:32:59(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
But as soon as you eat again on goes the weight.
Maldwyn
#4 Posted : 14 January 2014 22:39:47(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Indeed. It would be futile to fast, then go back to a poor diet.But if you follow an appropriate diet, whatever that may mean, and exercise, you will be thinner. In my experience, it is very difficult to change dietary habits, there are just too many temptations -Grösstl in my case (Austrian fry-ups).

Edited by user 14 January 2014 22:43:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tim o'sullivan Offline
#5 Posted : 14 January 2014 23:45:24(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Interesting thread

My weight and %body fat is all over the place at the moment - and am all too aware that there are now so many factors contributing to obesity - food (and the corn-syrup and other hidden junk in so much of it) just one of many to worry about. I joke about cake etc, but in reality am now terrified of anything with a cherry on top..

Fasting is a key part of many other cultures. We know quite a lot of exiled and a-religious Iranians who fast (or try and fast) during Ramadan only for reasons of health - and more to the point weight loss, with spectacular results. Also claims that fasting makes you mentally stronger (being able to say no to cake!), 'shrinks your stomach' (evidence?) and reduces your appetite. In short possible other effects that could counter the 'putting it all back on again after' problem? And of course hints that I should/need to give it a go!