Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Marcus Meyrick Offline
#1 Posted : 16 January 2014 09:58:56(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 602 post(s)
Hi ladies and gents,
I am going to join the Club Run tonight for the first time to see whether the runnnig club life is suited to me.

On the email I have received it says to make myself known to Phil Cook on the evening just to make sure he is aware I am there. However, I believe Phil is away at the moment so is there anyone else I need to seek out just to make myself known?

Also, is there anything else I should be aware of before I turn up tonight?

Cheers
Marcus.
amanda thompson Offline
#2 Posted : 16 January 2014 11:52:18(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
Hi Marcus

Welcome to Les Croupiers. I know from facebook that you join us from parkrun. Best thing to do is turn up and introduce yourself the others present and take it from there.

The following should help, it's taken from here http://www.lescroupiersr...rg.uk/training-sessions/ - go to that page for the links mentioned below.

Runners meet from 6.30pm onwards at Llandaff Rugby Club. The run starts at 7pm as a mass start.

Prior to the run starting we will gather those present into groups based on which distance they intend running that evening ~ 5 miles; 7 miles or 10 miles. We will then aim to identify paced groups as required. If you are coming along for the first time we advise that you turn up between 6.45 – 6.50pm and please make yourself known, we will arrange for someone of a similar pace to run with you and show you the route. Please note, we will never leave anyone to run on their own (unless they feel a particular wish to be solitary).

In order to add some variety and structure to the runs here are some suggested sessions for those interested – these aren’t mandatory but are there for those who want to use them. An example of these sessions is 10 x 1 min hard + 1 min easy, the schedule for the sessions can be found here, if we have a big event on the weekend then it is likely that that week will be a normal run. A more detailed description of how the sessions will be run is included here.

Les Croupiers Running Club has a winter route and a summer route (from when the clocks go forward to around mid-September) for its Club Run. Winter and summer routes are approximately 7 miles and can be extended to 10 miles or cut short to 5 miles when necessary (this often helps to ensure that we all finish at a similar time).

jamesthebruce Offline
#3 Posted : 16 January 2014 12:02:42(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Marcus,

(Looks like amamnda posted as well.. i'm not going to retype this.. but sorry for the duplication of info)..

We are a friendly bunch whom run 5,7 or 10 miles on a thursday night. Most people will run the 7 miles. (I usually run the 10 miles.but not many will...well I almost never run 7 miles )

And, a lot of people pop in for a drink and food in the club house afterwards using the showers. In the club house there annouchments about what people have done the previous week and what members are doing regonising achievements of the club runners e.g. personnal bests etc..

I would introduce yourselve this evening and figure out what pace you want to run (approx), or very broadly what pace you would run a 10k in.. so someone of a smiliar ability can guide you around the route.. one of the organisers will then be able to pair you up with someone at your pace... there is a wide range of abilities in the club..

For me.. I will run the 10 miles tonight at around 6:20 pace per mile on the flat at the end and down to about 8 min per mile as I struggle up the hill making 10 miles at an average pace of around 7-7:30 mins per mile..you will find people running much faster and slower than this evening so most ranges of ability are catered for..

Les croupiers is a very friendly club with all ranges of runners, with a fairly active social scene..I've been with the club about 3 1/2 years.. and i'm really glad i joined.. As the season picks up people will be going to several events at weekends and you will see the les croups vests everywhere.. its always nice running in a les croups vest as you often get lots of people cheering you on even if the dont know your name..

hopefully it works for you..

James

Edited by user 16 January 2014 12:03:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marcus Meyrick Offline
#4 Posted : 16 January 2014 12:19:45(UTC)
Marcus Meyrick

Has liked: 602 post(s)
Hi James, Hi Amanda.
Thanks for the pointers.

I finish work at 6 so it will be a tight turnaround to get home and then back out but hopefully I will be there around 6.45 to introduce myself.

I run a 10k on a nice flat course in around 45-50 minutes so definately not a speedy runner but hopefully somewhere in the middle of the pack. I plan on running the 7 mile.

I am looking forward to it.

Cheers
Marcus.