Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Karen Chadwell Offline
#1 Posted : 11 October 2021 12:25:40(UTC)
Karen Chadwell

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 303 post(s)
If you're a relative newcomer to the club/you're a 'road' runner, you may not have heard about cross country and Gwent League. I can promise you it is the BEST way to get to know and support your fellow club members, and it is *genuinely* open to everyone, regardless of pace. There's running, chat, cheering, cake, and usually a fair bit of mud/weather thrown in, and for Les Croupiers members, it's free. Yup, you run, and your club pays your entry fee. And if that wasn't enough, if you run in all five fixtures this season (https://www.gwent-league.org.uk/fixtures.html), you get awarded with a club mug.

What do Les Croupiers ask of you? To sign up in advance, so that Marcus and Claire can prepare entry sheets (do that in the Cross Country part of the forum, where Marcus has posted), to wear your club RED and GREEN vest, and to turn up at the team tent (look for the red tent and Les Croups flag) at least one hour before your race, to check in with Marcus/Claire (in the case of this Saturday, 16th Oct, the senior women/over 65 men run at 1:40pm and the senior men at 2:50pm).

Until I joined Croups I'd never taken part in a cross country race, so I was clueless. Here's some info I've found helpful -

* the events are huge, all day affairs (different age groups). This makes parking an issue - arrange lift shares, allow plenty of time etc
* (if you're a man) aim to arrive early to support the women's race, or (if you're a woman) stay on to support the men in your club. You and friends/family are also welcome to support if you aren't running.
* road shoes aren't really suitable - cross country spikes or off/road / trail type shoes are recommended (more later)
* it's a winter event, often cold, wet and very muddy (though it will be none of these things this Saturday). Bring plenty of layers, including a change of shoes/socks. Wellies and a hat are sometimes needed (although I've yet to run in either 😉 ).
* bring a flask or some cash to buy hot drinks. We have a small table which we set up in the tent, donations of cake etc to share are appreciated.

Shoes - I ran my first Gwent League in a pair of borrowed shoes (why would I buy a pair when I had no idea what I was letting myself in for?) I ran around Llandaff Fields yesterday in a pair of off road shoes. It's bone dry without a hint of mud. Although there's no rain forecast, the likelihood is that it'll be a bit churned up by the time the women/men run on Saturday. I am more than happy to lend my XC spikes or off road shoes (women's size 7) to someone who could use them on Saturday. I can be sure other club members will be in a similar position of having a spare pair, so if you fancy it, but don't have suitable shoes, post below and we'll see what we can do.

Have I convinced you? Any questions, ask away....
 1 user liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 11/10/2021(UTC)