Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Alun Davies
#1 Posted : 27 February 2014 21:38:23(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Any ideas to ease lower back pain?
Karen Chadwell Offline
#2 Posted : 27 February 2014 23:32:07(UTC)
Karen Chadwell

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 303 post(s)
After the last 8.5 months with take-your-breath-away lower back pain, I feel I could write an essay or six grrrr ... tho it's a bit like saying "how can I ease a sore leg?" ... it depends what the problem is?

I've had general aches and pains in my lower back since I had the delight of carrying a 10lb baby more than a decade ago ... from time to time this would flare up and I would treat with icepacks, painkillers, chiropractic treatment including acupuncture and laying off the exercise for a few days/weeks. This time around the pain levels are completely different, I've been unable to run at all, and ongoing treatments as above have failed to ease symptoms (diagnosed as 2 prolapsed and 1 'extruded' (almost ruptured) disc)

... so before you start trying to treat, I'd advise getting some advice as to the cause of the back pain. HTH
Alun Davies
#3 Posted : 28 February 2014 07:54:05(UTC)

Thanks just booked a physio this morning.
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#4 Posted : 28 February 2014 10:16:33(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 716 post(s)
Hi Alun, I've had lower back problems on & off for many years. I now have a compressed disc L4/L5. It can be a complicated issue, with many causes. You've definitely taken the first best step in getting an expert opinion.

I would suggest a self help book also. Sarah Key' book 'Back in Action' is a good one but there will be many others in the bookshop.

A word of warning, anti-inflammatories & pain killers are good in the short term if you stop training & give it a chance to heal. But, I would strongly advise against training with them, it will only disguise the problem & eventually make it worse. (This applies to other bio-mechanical problems also, such as Achilles). I've been through this scenario a number of times.

Hope this helps...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Alun Davies
#5 Posted : 28 February 2014 17:45:29(UTC)

My back was described as wonky ha but they have worked wonders and the shooting pains have eased. Just need to look after it a bit better and warm it up with stretches before running. Thanks for the advice and just ordered the book.