Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Would you prefer to eat spam for 7 days or run a marathon every day for 7 days
Choice Votes Statistics
  eat spam only for 7 days
33 %
  run a marathon every day for 7 days
66 %
  Total 3 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages<12
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#21 Posted : 05 March 2014 17:04:46(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 716 post(s)
Lyndon, I think your link to http://www.runningforfitness.org/book/chapter-8-injuries gives very good advice. (Not sure about the excessive vitamin C intake tho', as it is water soluble & will be immediately excreted.)

James, I've come into competitive running from a different direction from the (track) guys above, but I have to say that I am in a great deal of agreement with what they say. This is not only from an academic research point of view, but also in practical implementation in terms of training & the results achieved. To push the envelope of performance you have to learn to run quick! That is even at the expense of total mileage. Having recently ramped my interval training sessions to 3 per week, (with suitable safeguards for injury protection), it will be interesting to see what results can be achieved this season.

One word of caution, I agree that hill reps are a great training technique, however, I have found to my cost in the past that they can be overdone with injury resulting. So, be careful.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank49.html
Tho' how these speeds can be maintained for the intervals mentioned (in training), I do not know. My intervals are far shorter.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
 1 user liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 06/03/2014(UTC)
Evatt
#22 Posted : 05 March 2014 17:14:26(UTC)

Groups: Guests

James - Martin is bang on with everything he says. The only thing that I would say differently is that hills can be used year round. Maybe alternate short fast bursts on a steep hill one week, with slower longer efforts on a shallow gradient the following week.

(Can I just say that I have no coaching qualifications at all but hill training will help whether you're training for a 5km or a marathon)
Martin Haley
#23 Posted : 05 March 2014 17:45:35(UTC)

Ev, sure they can be done year round but...

Due to the obvious incline, you are never going flat out and as you said previously, they are done for strength and speed endurance. You tend to find the tougher hills in Cross Country and not Road races. Winter is generally the time to build that strength/endurance base.

Once the Spring/Summer comes, the majority are training for shorter road or track racing (not all I agree)and you are now looking to build up to flat out speed work. This would then be done on the track or any other surface but you don't tend to be doing 1km and above reps this time of year.

Just my thoughts...
Mick McGeoch Offline
#24 Posted : 05 March 2014 18:59:30(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Coming out for a run, Mart? I'll go easy on you.............
Alan Mason
#25 Posted : 05 March 2014 20:28:50(UTC)

Seb Coe came from Sheffield. Sheffield has more hills than Barry.
jamesthebruce Offline
#26 Posted : 05 March 2014 20:30:31(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
see mick if you were born in Yorkshire you would have made the Olympics.

james old woman bruce
Martin Haley
#27 Posted : 05 March 2014 20:51:08(UTC)

Mick, I wasn't going to say anything but last week when I was running with Archie, you were about a 1/4 mile ahead of us and when we caught you up, we had to slow down. I don't think I can run that slowly to be honest but maybe next week I will let you try a run with me...
Evatt
#28 Posted : 05 March 2014 21:23:42(UTC)

Mart - I totally agree with you regarding the hills but I think you're looking at it from a track runners perspective. Whilst that worked for us as youngsters it isn't the way things are at LC. Most are obsessed with running the marathon !!!!! Lol.

Hope to see you soon - in a running capacity. Not in an "owwwwww its hurt" capacity !!!!
Martin Haley
#29 Posted : 05 March 2014 21:45:28(UTC)

No Ev, I'm looking at it from the perspective of anyone that wants to get quicker. I won't be doing speed work on the track this year but I will be on Port Road or on the Knap Prom. Somewhere flat where I can get top speed up.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#30 Posted : 05 March 2014 21:50:48(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alan Mason Go to Quoted Post
Seb Coe came from Sheffield. Sheffield has more hills than Barry.

Thats a mad coincidence! Ive just been on runbritain paying to do a race there! Lol BigGrin
jamesthebruce Offline
#31 Posted : 08 March 2014 07:13:13(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Martin..

there has to be a balance of over training..

I cannot think of anything worse than running a marathon every day or 7 days.. I'd rather eat spam for 7 days..

what would others do.. see poll
Evatt
#32 Posted : 08 March 2014 09:03:12(UTC)

James - As a good friend of mine might say - "You are the End of the Bell" !!!!!

Oh look - there's some missing banter !!!!!
Martin Haley
#33 Posted : 11 March 2014 12:00:56(UTC)

James, not advocating running a marathon each day for 7 days (or eating spam) it was simply a fact that we are able to perform huge amounts of physical exertion if we need to. We could and can run those distances but would need to back off pace and recover well.

I mentioned if you want to run faster, run faster, and you may need to cut back on mileage and racing to achieve that. You obviously need to recover so wouldn't do more than 3 quality sessions per week with at least day day off or easy running between, probably more like 2, but I wouldn't then be putting junk mileage in.