Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Marcus Coles Offline
#1 Posted : 02 September 2013 03:56:50(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 10 post(s)
I did the John Clay - Pilot Club 5K in Naples, Florida just this past Saturday morning. A very early Saturday morning, 7:30am race start in fact. So I struggled out of bed at 5:30am feeling if i'm I ready for this. I thought to myself I cannot chicken out of this now beings I have promised the club that I am definitely be participating in it. So that in mind I got myself prepared and we travelled to the race which was about 25 miles away. I got to the race location at Lowdermilk Beach at around 7am and at that time the temperature was a very sultry 80F. I got prepared and got to the race start, the announcer got the race off and I got off to a great start. I did the the first mile in 6:04 and making my up through the field nicely, I thought this is great in such warm conditions, the second mile was harder not because of the course but the sun came through and boy did it get warmer, but even so I was catching people still with only 2 getting by me, I went through the second mile in 6:26. The last mile and a bit I felt I could push a little harder and I could see a further 2 competitors up front and started to make tracks to try and catch them. As I went over this bridge which had some great views over the harbour, I could see I was making good tracks to catch them. With about a kilometre to go I caught and passed them. There was another 1 or 2 ahead, but I thought they may be too far up front to catch maybe 10 - 12 seconds with a half kilometre to go. I kept the pace up but the 2 competitors who I had just passed, passed me back and with 200 metres to go, I went for it, I was able to pass one of the other competitors who was about 10 - 12 seconds in front along with one of the competitors who had just passed me. I passed the finish line in 19 minutes 32 seconds which I was happy with considering the heat would have probably taken at least 30 seconds of what I would do in normal conditions. Furthermore I hope I have flown the flag proudly for the club as I was 17th out of 384, 3rd Master in but more importantly got the medal I wanted as I was 1st for my age group (40 - 44) which I was so chuffed with. So all in all a great day and so glad that I got up to do it as I really ain't the best of early birds getting up lol and maybe I hope to defend my 1st next year, maybe taking the 1st Masters too, but I will need to do some saving up though lol to go out to Florida to do it again. Here are the links to the results.

Overall Results: http://gcrunner.org/results/2013/2k13jc-pcall.pdf
Age Group Results: http://gcrunner.org/results/2013/2k13jc-pcdiv.pdf

Marcus.
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 02/09/2013(UTC)
matt hurford Offline
#2 Posted : 02 September 2013 08:17:02(UTC)
matt hurford

Has liked: 205 post(s)
Well done Marcus. Good result.
Michael H Davies Offline
#3 Posted : 02 September 2013 20:25:10(UTC)
Michael H Davies

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member, ResultsAdmin

Has liked: 773 post(s)
Well run, Marcus. It sounds as if you thoroughly enjoyed your early morning run. Running/racing whilst your on holiday adds to the feeling of being part of your surroundings. You feel a lot closer to the community your visiting.
jamesthebruce Offline
#4 Posted : 02 September 2013 21:34:47(UTC)
jamesthebruce

Has liked: 851 post(s)
Well done Marcus..
Marcus Coles Offline
#5 Posted : 05 September 2013 00:52:39(UTC)
Marcus Coles

Has liked: 10 post(s)
Thank you, racing abroad certainly does make you feel closer to your surroundings. I trained in a local gym for a week whilst down there and it is quite inspiring to see a few men and women who must have been in their early to mid seventies and still going strong training. It just states that age is just a number and lies true to the saying that you are as young as you feel.

I also found highlights of the race on YouTube you will see me at around 3:50 on the video, here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3Y3lKE4no