Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Alun Davies
#1 Posted : 12 September 2013 22:20:40(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I seem to having a sharp pain in my right heel first thing in the morning, can be quite sore during the day but pain usually gets better when used. Any suggestions welcomed.
tim o'sullivan Offline
#2 Posted : 13 September 2013 08:01:42(UTC)
tim o'sullivan

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 508 post(s)
Sorry to hear this Alan - how long have had this? I've suffered from similar mysery for the best part of two years and it has been variously diagnosed as a stress fracture, heel spur or plantar fasciitis depending on who I see & seek treatmen from Blink (my money is on a heel spur). Hope your's is less serious and just needs rest, ice etc
Yvonne Bullen Offline
#3 Posted : 13 September 2013 08:31:05(UTC)
Yvonne Bullen

Has liked: 64 post(s)
It definitely sounds like Plantar Faciitis, especilally if you have pain first thing in the morning which gets better throughout the day which is a classic symptom. I've had this and it's terrible to get rid of i'm afraid. The only thing that got rid of mine was strapping a foot arch to my foot, not just when I was running, but all day too! This takes the pressure off the heel and you can run pain free. You don't have to spend a fortune, I made mine from an insole of an old running shoe. I can show you if you're at the club next week. Good luck!
Dave Hodges Offline
#4 Posted : 13 September 2013 09:24:34(UTC)
Dave Hodges

Has liked: 139 post(s)
Hi alun. I,like Tim had the same problem. I went to Ace feet in motion to have some insoles made and touch wood I have been ok since..I agree sounds like a heel spur.
Martin Haley
#5 Posted : 13 September 2013 09:25:32(UTC)

Alun, it does sound like PF if you feel it first thing then eases. In the 'old days', we used to massage the hell out of the PF (that's the technical term Crying)but not anymore. It usually stems from weak glutes (butt) that then force the calf muscle to work harder. The Fascia of the sole of foot is an extension from the calf.

This is in no way a diagnosis but if it is PF, don't be tempted to massage or golf ball roll the foot. Would usually test to see if the glute was weak and whether calf was tender then work calf and strengthen glute.
Alun Davies
#6 Posted : 13 September 2013 13:08:06(UTC)

Thanks all, think its time to play golf.
Caroline Dallimore Offline
#7 Posted : 01 October 2013 22:00:52(UTC)
Caroline Dallimore

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 62 post(s)
Just spotted this post, thanks for the advice on the golf ball have stopped using it and have noticed an improvement already after 2 days!!
Will continue with the calf stretching, arch supports, toe exercises and sports massages.
Martin Haley
#8 Posted : 02 October 2013 11:39:56(UTC)

Caroline, massage and stretch your calves but also perform some hip bridge exercises to work the glutes. Do this immediately after working the calves.

Again, can't say it is the solution but just stretching what is tight and not strengthening what is weak won't solve it.
Caroline Dallimore Offline
#9 Posted : 02 October 2013 12:17:02(UTC)
Caroline Dallimore

Groups: Unapproved

Has liked: 62 post(s)
Thanks, am back to doing glut strengthening exercises since reading your post as have had problems in the past.
If anyone else who cycles is also suffering PF, raising the height of the saddle on my bike also made a difference.
Aine Kenny Offline
#10 Posted : 06 May 2014 13:03:20(UTC)
Aine Kenny

Has liked: 653 post(s)
I'm revisiting this site as I'm having some PF symptoms (yikes!). I've been having a pain (not bad) in my left heel since about early to mid-March while training for the London marathon. I only feel it when I walk after spending a long time sitting down or sometimes while lying in bed and, as mentioned above, first thing in the morning sometimes. Its not a bad pain and hasn't impacted my running (never bothered me doing the marathon thankfully). I only feel it in the early stages of a run (first half mile or so). I'm a bit concerned that it could get worst and would like to have it looked at before it does (prevention better than cure they say!). I see Ace Feet in Motion has been mentioned above and they already have been recommended to me by others. I have e-mailed them and they provided me with prices for an assessment (foot scan, gait analysis, etc) and orthotics if required (not bad if they sort it!). Would it be worth giving them a try? I'd be willing to pay what they have quoted if they could diagnose it and sort it out (provide orthotics or whatever).
Alun Davies
#11 Posted : 06 May 2014 13:17:46(UTC)

Ice and rest and it won't be a long term injury, I recovered within three to four weeks but I did rest and protected it. Andrew Seary in Whitchurch will treat it and is worth a visit to him as he will strap it and give you advice on how to treat it.
Aine Kenny Offline
#12 Posted : 06 May 2014 14:30:53(UTC)
Aine Kenny

Has liked: 653 post(s)
Thanks Alun. I have been icing it recently after every run (but obviously haven't done the rest bit well!). Still doing significantly less than I was prior to the marathon. I've been doing some calf stretches as well. Maybe I should be doing more glute stretching as mentioned above. I haven't resorted to resting as it hasn't been sore enough to do so (hasn't been getting any worse either). That's why I'm anxious to get an appointment with a podritrist (can give a definite prognosis with a scan) before I do too much damage to it (typical runner - anything but rest and the Castles are coming up!).
Martin Haley
#13 Posted : 07 May 2014 14:31:28(UTC)

Strengthen Glutes NOT stretch...
Martin Haley
#14 Posted : 08 May 2014 15:41:33(UTC)

This might be a useful blog post for those suffering with heel pain/plantar fasciitis. It's not from myself - http://neurokinetictherapy.com/...-treat-plantar-fasciitis