Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tracey Newman Offline
#1 Posted : 22 July 2014 09:27:46(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 235 post(s)
In 2006 the USA Track and Field ban the use of headphones and electronic devices this cause such an uproar with some races promoting their races as MPS friendly. The USATF changed the rule to allow the use of a listening device as long as it is not capable of receiving communication. However, anyone competing in championships for awards, medals or prize money do not use them but are allowed in a race at the direction of the race direction. This to me seems like a good move forward and something that the UKA should look to doing. There is no actual rule UKA rule against the use of headphones but there is a ban on any device that assist runners and apparently a ban on Gamins ( which I will have to check on unless anyone knows about this rule) but has never been an issues like headphone. There are some races in the UK that do have a headphone ban, Brighton Marathon and Edinburgh Marathon are two of these races. Apparently Brentwood 1/2 marathon used a video at the end and had a long list of disqualified runners for wearing headphones. I know I would contested the results if I was done out of a prize over someone wearing headphones. If they are trying to ban cyclists was wearing them then I can't see why UKA can't do the same in running or least follow the Americans lead.
Mel James Offline
#2 Posted : 22 July 2014 12:10:15(UTC)
Mel James

Has liked: 17 post(s)
I agree with you Tracy, UKA should step forward and make decision on this issue. It is actually an IAAF rule covering all competition under their rulings. This will effect the World Half Marathon Champs in Cardiff as it is an IAAF event.
At present it is up to any promoter to enforce, should they so wish under their risk assessment on safety, with the full backing of UKA. They also advise where they (shouldn't be used) I/E Championships, Cross Country, Races sharing Traffic, Lap Courses without Traffic and races where Marshalls need to offer instruction. If they changed the Shouldn't to Must Not it would take the onus off the promoter.
Mel James Offline
#3 Posted : 22 July 2014 12:24:05(UTC)
Mel James

Has liked: 17 post(s)
I should also have added.
Promoters should also play their part in this, by stating on their entry forms their decision to ban electronic headphones. (not hearing aid devices) This would cover themselves in any later dispute should they enforce a disqualification.
There is also another unusual rule, dogs on leads, are not allowed in any licensed competition. (Perhaps the can compete without leads).
amanda thompson Offline
#4 Posted : 22 July 2014 13:43:54(UTC)
amanda thompson

Has liked: 295 post(s)
You should write to UK Athletics if you feel strongly about this.

There is a ban on headphones in many races but physically applying that ban seems to be a sticking point. You would need a regular look out on the entire course to catch people and then to remove them from the race or issue them with an immediate disqualification. I should imagine that's a pretty unrealistic and draconian measure for most races to apply.

Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#5 Posted : 22 July 2014 16:56:35(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Has liked: 716 post(s)
A ban on Garmins??
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Tracey Newman Offline
#6 Posted : 25 July 2014 12:18:10(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
I couldn't find the actual rule on Gamins but they do say that athletics are not allow to wear anything that may assist them in any way, however you are allow to wear heart monitors for race over 10k! I do agree with Mel UKA should come to a decision before someone is seriously injured or killed. I didn't know about the dog rule and have seem then in races ( not counting Park Runs) however there are races specifically for dogs owners. Interesting point, does this rule apply to assistance dogs? Personally I don't see what's wrong with an old fashioned stop watch and hard graft. After all athletics were winning and breaking records before all these modern gizmos and gadgets!
 1 user liked this post.
Mick McGeoch on 25/07/2014(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#7 Posted : 28 July 2014 13:59:35(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Has liked: 586 post(s)
I found your post quite interesting so I pinched it and started up a post on another forum.

It caused quite a heated debate.Smile

http://www.runnersforum....armins-banned-races.html