Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Lyndon Tudor Maisey Offline
#1 Posted : 16 August 2014 19:32:23(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 586 post(s)
I have bought and just received "Running To The Top" by Arthur Lydiard. His CV to put it pretty mildly makes for very impressive reading.

Arthur Leslie Lydiard ONZ OBE (6 July 1917 – 11 December 2004) was a New Zealand runner and athletics coach. He has been lauded as one of the outstanding athletics coaches of all time and is credited with popularizing the sport of running and making it commonplace across the sporting world. His training methods are based on a strong endurance base and periodisation.

I just wondered if anybody has read any of his books or would vouch or even disagree with his methods?
Mick McGeoch Offline
#2 Posted : 16 August 2014 20:27:37(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
I can do better than that, Lyndon. I met him - in Newport when he was 74. Mike Rowland (Steve Jones's coach) invited him. All that you say is true, Lyndon. I think there's a clip of him on You Tube, too, speaking in Edinburgh - no doubt on the same tour as when I met him. All it shows is that modern training methods have changed very little in the last 50 years. Hard work is all it takes, which is the message you'll get from either listening to him or reading his book. A strong endurance base and periodization is what I preach or here - it's not my philosophy, it's Arthur's, and it works, so long as you believe in yourself.
 1 user liked this post.
Lyndon Tudor Maisey on 16/08/2014(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent) Offline
#3 Posted : 16 August 2014 22:09:46(UTC)
Short Circuit (Howard Kent)

Has liked: 716 post(s)
I also have 'Running the Lydiard Way'. Some of these books are out of print, which is a pity as they still contain some gems of information not always quoted in more modern books.

Another book I would mention is 'Better Training for Distance Runners' by Martin & Coe, also out of print. Peter Coe, (Seb Coe's father), was regarded as 12 years ahead of his time.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#4 Posted : 17 August 2014 13:08:56(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

Mick I believe these are the links you spoke of.I will be watching them with interest.

http://youtu.be/fiUEoTIJNII

http://youtu.be/HSA7nKTHko0

ThumpUp
 2 users liked this post.
Stephen Hitchen on 18/08/2014(UTC), Short Circuit (Howard Kent) on 18/08/2014(UTC)
Mick McGeoch Offline
#5 Posted : 17 August 2014 17:24:25(UTC)
Mick McGeoch

Has liked: 1186 post(s)
Thanks, Lyndon - they are indeed. I recommend them to anyone with any interest in distance running.
Tracey Newman Offline
#6 Posted : 18 August 2014 16:21:37(UTC)
Tracey Newman

Has liked: 235 post(s)
You may be able to get out of print books from Amazon, charity shops or second hand/antique books shops like the one in Morgan's Arcade in town ( where the sarsaparilla shop was ) I got a copy of Valley of the Dolls which is out of print from a charity shop I think. Another place may be the Library, you may have to ask as it may be kept in what they call the stacks. The name Arthur Lydiard does ring a bell and I would be interested in looking at his books. I have Paula Ratcliff book, How to Run a Marathon, which I got from book sale for a fraction of the price which is pretty good, although she does recommend a lot of off road running and weights.
Stephen Hitchen Offline
#7 Posted : 18 August 2014 18:18:45(UTC)
Stephen Hitchen

Has liked: 175 post(s)
Very interesting videos. Thanks for the links Lyndon.
#8 Posted : 21 August 2014 14:54:32(UTC)
Lyndon Tudor Maisey

I have made some dietary changes and im looking at training in a different way now.

I think one of my biggest mistakes and Im sure many peoples is to expect too much too soon.Im looking longer term and in doing so releasing unnecessary preasure which in turn will only benefit me in my training.

As well as running more relaxed in competition I think it must be important also leading up to a competition. If you start forcing the pace and ruthlessly hammering on the miles I don't think you will sustain the consistency required to get decent results in the long run.

It is easy to fix on a target and have blinkers on everything but achieving that target, without looking at the big picture.

Already I think looking at how Lydiard did things is opening my eyes to how better to do them.
 1 user liked this post.
Clive Osmond on 21/08/2014(UTC)
Maldwyn
#9 Posted : 22 August 2014 01:57:17(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Here's a link to Arthur Lydiard's
Athletic Training

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur%20Lydiard.pdf

Phil Hexter

Edited by user 22 August 2014 01:59:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified